Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bib Shorts Fit - Anatomy of the Clyde Rear

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-09-09, 11:54 PM
Clyde - Grinder

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite - 2007 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pertinent stats... 5'10", 322 LBS, currently wearing 4XL aerotech bib.

Went on my longest ride ever today, 32 miles R/T including a stop at the Red Hook Brewery outside of Seattle. Double my longest day ever and I've got some raw spots in my sensitive bits, mostly at the leg/rear crease. I thought I used plenty of chamois butter but I probably should have applied at some point. Before I left, my wife pointed out that my bib was a little baggy in some areas, mostly near my leg and crotch, although still snug around my stomach. Shoulder straps weren't loose, but weren't tight either.

Is it time to size down? How tightly should bibs/shorts fit the bits they are supposed to be protecting? Also, I have a nice seat-shaped bruise on my rear. I'm pretty sure the bib pad was way too far forward and nothing was really between my sit bones and my seat. Obviously less pain and damage would be better. Thoughts?
Old 05-09-09, 11:58 PM
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you definitely don't want loose fitting bibs....they should be snug in all areas. When you get down to about 260 try a pair of Assos bibs in size TIR....then you'll know how a bib should feel in terms of tightness. The only way to describe it is you will think the bibs are almost too tight but you don't want the straps pulling.

Last edited by chrisvu05; 05-10-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 06:41 AM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah i'd say definateyl time to get smaller bibs. If they are actually baggy probably two sizes smaller.
Old 05-10-09, 10:34 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If it's at the join between the leg and the, ahem, space between the legs, it could be the saddle is too wide. I have a similar problem; thanks to my crooked pelvis I ride 'facing left' and I often chafe on that side. (Switching to a narrower saddle and paying attention to my riding position solved the problem for me.)

Old 05-10-09, 10:53 AM
Clyde - Grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 3XL bib on order. I wouldn't call the 4XL baggy, just loose in a few important areas around my thighs and rear.

I have a stock specialized hardrock saddle, it seems pretty narrow to me already, but I haven't seen all there is to see on saddles.
Old 05-10-09, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't worn bibs but cycling shorts should be snug. Not tight enough to cut off circulation or bind, but not loose.

One of the hazards of gaining and losing weight is getting loose skin and sagging. Skin that has been stretched out tends to have more problems and can be more fragile. The support you can get from snug cycling clothes will help as it acts like a second skin.

Unlike cotton clothes that will "shrink up" in the wash, lycra/spandex will just stretch out in time. Take that into account when shopping.

I have a travel-size squeeze container that I keep filled with chamois butter. It goes into my bike "repair kit" to go along on all rides especially those rides long enough for rest stops.

See if you can get a fit assessment / adjustment to make sure the bike saddle is in the right position. Wear your bike clothes. Minor adjustments can make major differences.

Also, going double on mileage can cause problems. If you ramp up gradually you'll figure out what you're not adapted to without it being more than nuisance level (as opposed to injuring yourself so you have to take weeks off to recover). Maybe I should listen to my own advice on this point.
Old 05-10-09, 04:00 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Kamala
I've got a 3XL bib on order. I wouldn't call the 4XL baggy, just loose in a few important areas around my thighs and rear.
What is your waist size? I'm 6' 1", 285 currently, and have a 46" waist. I wear a XL or XXL at most. The 3XL, unless it runs very small, strikes me as too big for you. Heck, even an XXL is really too big for me - I wore them once when I went to test-ride a friend's road bike, and he told me I looked like I had enough room "to pack a lunch in there."

Old 05-10-09, 05:42 PM
Clyde - Grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hovering around a 50/52. Just got back into size 50 levi's loose fit jeans.
Old 06-06-09, 12:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way too big

Originally Posted by Kamala
my wife pointed out that my bib was a little baggy in some areas, mostly near my leg and crotch, although still snug around my stomach.
Hi all, This is "the wife..." I told Kamala that he needed to go two sizes smaller, but he didn't believe me. I am definitely not an experienced cyclist, but I do know the intricacies of stretch fabrics, and I don't think you're supposed to have any bunching fabric. The fabric is really only bunching in the back, because Mr. Kamala doesn't have an equivalent amount of junk in the "trunk" to offset his tummy. Does anyone know of any other big man bibs that might be flatter in back? Or is Kamala just going to have to start looking for bespoke bikeware?
Old 06-06-09, 04:51 AM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wear these bibs, I got the 08' on clearance for $25.00. They are right on the bottom and the fabric of the overall part is very soft so it gives space for the gut. Keep an eye out for the larger sizes in clearance XXL is usually one of the last too sell.
Old 06-06-09, 05:18 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Mrs. Kamala
Hi all, This is "the wife..." I told Kamala that he needed to go two sizes smaller, but he didn't believe me. I am definitely not an experienced cyclist, but I do know the intricacies of stretch fabrics, and I don't think you're supposed to have any bunching fabric. The fabric is really only bunching in the back, because Mr. Kamala doesn't have an equivalent amount of junk in the "trunk" to offset his tummy. Does anyone know of any other big man bibs that might be flatter in back? Or is Kamala just going to have to start looking for bespoke bikeware?
When you are looking at your husband, is it when he is riding, or standing? Bibs often look a little loose in the rear when standing.

Old 06-06-09, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend that you go two sizes smaller. You've got the weight loss momentum going, and especially now that it's peak cycling season, you'll cut down from a 50 to a 46 relatively quickly. Plus, as others have pointed out, lycra/spandex is subject to stretching. Or, as Aerotech has a great return policy, buy both 3XL and 2XL, try them on side-by-side, and send back the pair that doesn't fit.

I'm 5'10, 42-43" waist (wearing 44 jeans that are sloppy), 245.5 lbs. cutting down from 305 and the 2XL bibs are too loose for me - I need the XL.
Old 06-06-09, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3, Trek FX-7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes the cut of the bibs makes so difference, even within brands. I have a set of Pearl IzumiAttack bibs in XXL that are borderline too large (I shortened the suspenders, and they are okay).

On the other hand, my Ultra-Sensor XXL bibs are pretty snug. I'm 6'1" / 275.
Old 06-06-09, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_antares
Sometimes the cut of the bibs makes so difference, even within brands. I have a set of Pearl IzumiAttack bibs in XXL that are borderline too large (I shortened the suspenders, and they are okay).

On the other hand, my Ultra-Sensor XXL bibs are pretty snug. I'm 6'1" / 275.
Probably the two models were made by different sub-contractors in China.
Old 06-06-09, 08:17 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Kamala
It's called "booty do" as in your stomach sticks out more than your booty do (as in my case)

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx