Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm baaaack!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm baaaack!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm baaaack!!

After what seemed like an eternity I have finally gotten a ride in.

Let me tell you about the last two weeks. They were good times and we made a lot of great memories, my bride and I. We drove the S-10 out to Holland Michigan for the annual Tulip Time Festival. The Tulips and many flowering trees were in full bloom. The weather was fantastic. The people we interfaced with were just awesome. I can’t say enough about the experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who’s the slight bit interested. My only problem, if you can even call it a problem is that I missed my bikes. Everywhere I looked I saw cyclists cruising the streets smiling from ear to ear. We couldn’t bring ours and I don’t care to bore everyone with the reasons, but they’re legitimate. My silly little problem not withstanding, we had a great time.

I’ve opted to throw in a little teaser from Holland Michigan……

So we came home and we both had planned on me getting in some rides on our quiet or down days, but the weather did not quite cooperate. We had Thunderstorms on the first day and 50+ mph winds on the following day. Oh bother…..

Now as residents of Rochester we feel obligated to attend at least one day of the Annual Rochester Lilac Festival and that’s exactly what we did on the first nice day that we had. As always it was a beautiful walk among over 1000 assorted Lilac Bushes in Highland Park. The Lilacs were in bloom along with most of the flowering trees and the air was filled with the scent of Lilac everywhere we went. There weren’t as many teasers here either. I almost had bicycles completely out of my head as everyone was walking…that is until I spied this....

Well, that is all history now and today I got out for a little 32 mile joy ride. Being a weekday a lot of the areas I tend to ride in were almost abandoned except for some of the year round residents that is. This was the first fellow I spotted. Sorry about the image quality, it’s hand held at 16X magnification. I should have had a tripod but some things can’t be planned.

These guys are warming in the sun. The marsh is loaded with them….

Here’s a couple of geese logging some gossip time I guess….

This guy's just swimming around....

This pond seems to have a swan infestation...

Sigh…..it’s so good to be home and back on two wheels.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-12-09 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 04:41 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back!

The tulips were beautiful and the picture of the Schwinn brought back memories. It's almost identical to the one I owned as a child but mine was light blue

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-12-09, 06:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
After what seemed like an eternity ...
Funny, it didnt' seem quite that long to me.

Sounds like a great trip. I certainly enjoy that type of thing.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-13-09, 07:32 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow I feel like I've been to Holland and back. Great pix.
Old 05-13-09, 08:25 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Schwinns to Schwans...uh..swans.