Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Regular Bike Maintenance and Cleaning

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 12:07 PM
Nic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What sort of regular bike Maintenance and cleaning do you all do? I mean, what do you do to your bike after a ride? On a weekly basis or a monthly basis? How much time do you spend working on your bike? Basically, describe the work that you do on your bike on a regular basis.
Old 06-04-04, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends. We haven't had any rain to speak of in a couple of months, so conditions have been really dry. I usually just spray down the bike, wipe down the chain with a rag and reapply lube the next morning (making sure all the h2o evaporates overnight).

If it's been a muddy ride, I fill a bucket with soapy water, and I have two sponges. One for the frame, fork, bars, seat. I use another one specifically for the drivetrain, and I have a cog brush to go over the rear cassette. I also have a stiff brush that I scrub down the tires with. I use a Sram Powerlink on my chain, and remove it, soak it in degreaser (drop it into a bottle with a lid that I can shake) and let it soak for 15 to 30 mins then let it hang to dry overnight. Then reinstall and relube the next day!

I don't generally wipe off the extra water, but as I'm cleaning, I inspect every weld for cracks or peeling paint.

About twice a year and tear down my suspension fork. I usually put new oil in and will replace the seal kit annually.

I've got all sealed bearings on my hubs and headset, so I don't do much with those unless they're rolling rough, then it's just a press out and a press in of new bearings.

Discs, I replace my pads when needed. Usually don't have to do much to readjust them. I've never had to bleed my brakes after initial set-up.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-04-04, 03:12 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nic
What sort of regular bike Maintenance and cleaning do you all do? I mean, what do you do to your bike after a ride? On a weekly basis or a monthly basis? How much time do you spend working on your bike? Basically, describe the work that you do on your bike on a regular basis.
Every 100 miles (at least once per week) i thoroughly degrease and relube my MTB chain/cassette/chainrings. Where i ride the performance of the drive train fails quickly after 100 miles. I usually wash them off at least once a week too. I don't like having dirty stuff hanging in my garage. I never store my bike wet so i always try and blow any water off of it before i hang it up.

I ride two different bikes so when one gets cleaned and lubed i hang it on the wall until it is time for the other one to get the same treatment. This gives me several extra days to get around to cleaning.