Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer Hitch Question?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Trailer Hitch Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 10:00 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Question Trailer Hitch Question?

Howdy, I have a X-mart trailer, I gutted and added a top box to make a utility trailer, my old bike was a Roadmaster Mnt. Sport SX-sudo-MTB and it had "non-QR" wheel's so it was a snap to add the "smallish" "hitch" to the bicycle. My new bike is a Jamis Trail-X 3.0, with QR axles and "disc brakes", this hitch is supposed to work with QR wheels but it hangs down from chain stayhanger but I "think" it will interfere with the "rear disc brake" any ideas, thoughts, suggestions??

I was thinking of drilling a set of 4 smallish holes, using "U-Bolts" and attaching the hitch on the chainstay, "ahead" of the disc brake, would that cause too much stress on the chainstay?? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 05-14-09, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just worked on a newer Gary Fisher with disc brakes. His hitch hung down below the disc brake and was fine. He did have a longer skewer. I would just be careful manuvering around and don' t turn it too sharp. Riding should be no problem.
Old 05-14-09, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics of your setup would help, but I'll give you my experience with a trailer hitch install.

I bought a used 100lbs max weight 2 child trailer off craigslist to gut and convert to a dog hauling utility trailer. It too had a bracket that installs to QR skewers. I have disc brakes, but they didn't cause a problem in the install. What did cause a problem was the length of my stock skewers. They were too short after putting on the hitch bracket. I had to purchase a new set, in this case a pair of Salsa Flip Offs which were a little longer than my stock skewers.

In the end it cost me an extra $50, but I don't mind the skewer upgrade and I still saved money over buying a new utility trailer that would effectively do the same thing.
Old 05-16-09, 07:13 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip on the longer QR skewer's, I hadn't thought of that, I've been a bit tenitive in adding the brace but I'll check it out tomorrow again thanks! photo's are a problem I have PICISA on line photo albums but they won't "show" up on this forum. I haven't figured out HOW you can just add a photo from your computer to this forum, RATS!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 05-16-09 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-16-09, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Thanks for the tip on the longer QR skewer's, I hadn't thought of that, I've been a bit tenitive in adding the brace but I'll check it out tomorrow again thanks! photo's are a problem I have PICISA on line photo albums but they won't "show" up on this forum. I haven't figured out HOW you can just add a photo from your computer to this forum, RATS!
This site does not host images so it will not allow you to upload photos from your computer. For image hosting, try looking into a Flickr or Photobucket account. They both offer free services and work great for posting pics on this and other websites.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-09, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like my trailer hookup [converted child carrier that is hooked on the rear fork just forward of the gears//very flexable ad easy to handle./Kenneth