Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking Noise - BB Cups?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Trying to narrow down an annoying clicking noise that shows up sometimes while pedaling. Crank is Ultegra SL so i've got external BB cups, can these still click? The drive side seems a bit tight (can't thread it much without using the wrench, but it tightens just fine.

It's hard to reproduce unless i'm on the bike and even then it doesn't happen 100% of the time, usually at a higher cadence if that should make any difference.

Is it possible that the BB is the culprit even if they're just bearing cups? What would it be clicking against?

I'm going to try and swap out the rear wheel to rule out the cassette, freehub etc, along with the pedals just in case.

Since it's somewhat difficult to thread the drive-side BB cup (on a pretty new bike) should I take it in to have it faced/rethreaded?
Old 05-14-09, 11:02 AM
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or a pedal, or your shoe hitting the pedal...
Old 05-14-09, 11:10 AM

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm guessing pedal . . . your bike was faced/chased before those external BB cups were installed right?
Old 05-14-09, 11:18 AM
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You many find the following links helpful in tracking it down:

https://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

AND

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=123

It's usually just a matter of patiently removing, cleaning,
re-lubing, and re-torquing fasteners until it quiets down.
Old 05-14-09, 12:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I'm assuming it has to be something that moves since it still happens if i'm not seated (so unlikely to be the seatpost/seat).

Not sure so about the BB area of the frame being faced/chased. The bike is a nearly new Cannondale, but the shop I got it from didn't do a great job prepping it. I'm reluctant to take it back for them to do any work on it for that reason.
Old 05-14-09, 12:39 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
(so unlikely to be the seatpost/seat).
It's unlikely to be the seatpost/seat... so it has to be the bottom bracket? Noises in the drivetrain area doesn't necessarily mean it emanates from there. Don't dismiss that sheldon link so readily or you will have just played russian roulette with a semi auto and one in the chamber.
Old 05-14-09, 02:14 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
Remove the pedals from the crankarms. Grease the threads. Re-install them tightly.

If you have a quill stem, remove it, grease the threads of the expander bolt, and grease the outside of the body. Re-install.

Grease the surface where the stem (either type) meets the handlebars.

If you have a new style stem (for threadless steerer tube), grease the surface where it meets the steerer tube.

These techniques get rid of a large fraction of noises like that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-14-09, 02:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the tips. Also, I didn't dismiss Sheldon's links (I know better), i'll go through those recommendations as well.

I'm just hoping it's not an issue with my BB shell since I don't have the tools to deal with getting it faced/chased.
Old 05-15-09, 01:55 PM
Great guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After spending a whole afternoon re- tightning/lubricating every thinkable bolt/screw on my bike, the clicking sound was still there. My wife finally solved the riddle when she pointed out that my Look cleats on my cycling shoes was overseen by me. She was right, they were the cause.....
Old 05-15-09, 02:02 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
Some things take longer than you think they should. Glad you solved it and hope you learned a few things. These things can be annoying! I have a couple of rattles in my car that have been bothering me for months. No one can find them.

I once had a strange "tink" sound on my bike that went with each pedal stroke. It turns out that the drawstring on my jacket was tapping on my top tube!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.