Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What Shimano groupset to choose

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am curious to what groupset is suitable for a clyde. I notice that shimano groups have different levels and prices but do they offer strength or just reduced weight as the price increases. I see this is the hierarchy of shimano but i am more curious if a heavier groupset would actually be stronger or if the lighter sets are stronger. Any input would be appreciated for my future purchases.

Shimano Road, from the top down: Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora

Shimano MTB, same thing: XTR, Deore XT, Deore LX, Deore, Alivio
Old 05-15-09, 10:41 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The groupsets don't do much weight bearing, so aren't a big issue in my mind for clyde usage.

Mid range is best bang for the buck, and above that, the biggest advantage people can agree to is weight savings... durability seems to be debatable, with some saying more durable due to better manufacturing processes, and some saying more fragile due to the emphasis on weight savings.

Think about it. a derailleur guides a chain side to side... not influenced significantly by weight or power... same for shifters...

The cranks may have some issues that may be relevant to weight, but I have yet to feel any flex in a crank at 350 pounds...

Hubs do bear weight, so there may be something there... I ride Tiagra hubs, without issue. I know others ride Ultegra and Dura-Ace without issue...
Old 05-15-09, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, unless you are trying to shave seconds off your ride times, the only big difference is the snaz-factor. I've found that Sora shifters work just as well under load as Dura Ace, but I have to admit that I just don't like the thumb-shifter on Sora. More fumbling around when if I'm avoiding pot holes or traffic than necessary.

Like Chucky said, I prefer at least Tiagra-level shifters. I don't really care that much about the derailures, though.

Old 05-15-09, 11:43 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I find there is a significant difference in the feel of low end to mid grade components. The jump from Sora to Tiagra is noticeable. Tiagra to 105, a little less. 105 to Ultegra to D/A, negligible.

Durability with some components is an issue. Low end components use more plastic parts where the higher end use metal for the same bits. Rear Derailleurs at the high end use jockey wheels with good bearings and tighter tolerances, as well as lighter and often less (of a stronger) material to save weight. At the low end, these parts may be noisy and heavy while still performing their function adequately.

That said, I use a mix of Deore, Tiagra, and FSA mid-grade equipment on my brevet bike. I have old (c. 1991) 105sc equipment on my fixed gear, and I use a 1988 GS200 group and random ultra-cheap parts on my cruiser.
Old 05-15-09, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckygetlucky
I see this is the hierarchy of shimano but i am more curious if a heavier groupset would actually be stronger or if the lighter sets are stronger.
In terms of mountain bike components, I think that XT cranks are the strongest ones that Shimano makes; stronger than XTR, from what I recall. I believe that SLX-series cranks are nearly as strong as XT, but weigh more... and cost quite a bit less.
Old 05-15-09, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Go with shimano 105, its durable, works great, and is good priced...
Old 05-15-09, 02:10 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Most of the price different goes to profit, not manufacturing. I agree with the advice to go with midpriced stuff.

All Shimano hubs and cranks seem durable. Those are two things Shimano does well, and I'm also a big critic of Shimano. Gotta give credit where it's due. And as has been pointed out, those are two components where ability to stand up to force really matters.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-15-09, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
105 and LX are the best bang for the buck, so to speak.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 05-15-09, 03:02 PM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have shimano 105 on one bike, and tiagra on another, and i cant tell the difference, except for weight.
Old 05-15-09, 03:15 PM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I would go with the 105 at least. I admit I always said why spend more for slight difference, well my new bike has SRAM Force and all I can say is if you have shimano and like it don't try Sram. If you do you will not enjoy the shimano ever again. IMHO
Old 05-15-09, 03:21 PM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by youcoming
I would go with the 105 at least. I admit I always said why spend more for slight difference, well my new bike has SRAM Force and all I can say is if you have shimano and like it don't try Sram. If you do you will not enjoy the shimano ever again. IMHO

+1

My friend has sram rival, and i am going to upgrade my caad9 with rival in a couple of months.
Old 05-15-09, 05:23 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hendrick81
I have shimano 105 on one bike, and tiagra on another, and i cant tell the difference, except for weight.

I talked to a bike mechanic at a LBS and he said in 2008 tiagra got much better and the only difference between it and the 105 was the weight. I asked another LBS about it and they said the difference is not what it use to be either. So, tiagra may be something worth considering if the budget is tight. That said, I still put my faith in the 105 or better for my own bikes.
Old 05-15-09, 09:44 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have all ultegra and like it. I got a good deal on a groupset for 350, it was NIB but a couple years old. Check out the forsale forum on BF. Sometimes you can find good deals.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx