Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help with Ortliebs on Tubus racks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first post and I suspect a really stupid question but I'm curious how everyone has their ortliebs mounted to their tubus racks, in particular the tubus tara front rack.

I just picked these up yesterday and the upper hook mounts are simple, but I'm so used to the typical bungee cord and hook that I'm not sure if I've got that 'tongue/clip/thing' setup properly for the lower mount. The panniers mount and unmount easily enough right now but there's some play in them (I worry they may rattle when not heavily stuffed), and I'm not sure if that's because I don't have the lower mount setup properly.

The rear panniers are mounted very similarly to what the Ortlieb instructions show yet still have a little play in them. I was under the impression that the lower hook/clip/tongue was supposed to be horizontal to attach to a vertical tube on the rack, and I'm not sure how I can do that with a tubus tara and still have them easily removable.

I've attached a few pictures of both the front ortlieb sportpacker classics mounted to a tubus tara rack, and rear ortlieb backpacker classics mounted to a rear tubus cargo. I've heard rave reviews about this combination here and I'm curious if I've got it setup right.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tara front rack.jpg (65.2 KB, 52 views)
tara top.jpg (66.5 KB, 46 views)
cargo.jpg (75.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-17-09, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at your first photo it looks like you just need to adjust the tongue upwards and turn around.

You can take the tongue thing off and put it on the other side of the track if you still aren't able to get it to hold properly where it's at now. I had to do this with my Ortleibs and Tubus Logo rear rack.
Old 05-17-09, 10:33 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
yes; looking at the 1st picture I would slide that piece around the bend and clamp it onto the diagonal part of the rack.

Did you put the inserts into the top clips? those will reduce the rattling for sure.
Old 05-17-09, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the 11mm adapters in the top clips but there's still about 0.5 or 1mm around them which is causing a bit of the rattle I'd imagine. I still haven't added that protective thin tape that the tubus racks come with so that may help take care of that.

I've moved the hooks to two different positions according to the advice I've received so far. I've attached new images. Which one do you think is correct? The one with the hook pointed up at approximately 2 o'clock (if the oval sliding clip holder were a watch face) or the one angled toward the floor at 4 o'clock? The one with it at 4 o'clock is easier to remove but not as stable.
Attached Images
new tara.jpg (36.1 KB, 43 views)
new tara 2.jpg (59.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-17-09, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StitchBike
I've got the 11mm adapters in the top clips but there's still about 0.5 or 1mm around them which is causing a bit of the rattle I'd imagine. I still haven't added that protective thin tape that the tubus racks come with so that may help take care of that.

I've moved the hooks to two different positions according to the advice I've received so far. I've attached new images. Which one do you think is correct? The one with the hook pointed up at approximately 2 o'clock (if the oval sliding clip holder were a watch face) or the one angled toward the floor at 4 o'clock? The one with it at 4 o'clock is easier to remove but not as stable.
I'd bring the hook up a bit further on the second photo if it were me.