Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Getting really down on my racing...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 08:23 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I raced Ontario 4/5 today, the heat was absolutely oppressive (I live by the beach and am not acclimated to hot weather). I noticed as soon as I got on the freeway driving out there my HR went up, I had a lot on my mind and haven't really been training or racing as much lately. The last time I did Ontario I felt amazing and had really high hopes. My last race was Dana Point and it was my first 4 race, I got shelled out the back but felt ok because of how fast the race was.

As soon as I started warming up today I felt terrible, my legs felt fatigued, my HR was high and I wasn't motivated. By the time the race started I felt no better and I quickly ended up at the back of the peloton, could barely breath and even though my legs felt like they had the gas to attack, my lungs didn't. After 20 minutes my HR was at 95-98% and I was falling off the peloton, I pulled out embarrassed and frustrated.

Once I sat down I instantly started to feel better aside from some sore lungs, two races, I figured then that a lot of it had to do with stress/anxiety. Two times getting dropped in a row, I honestly felt like I wanted to quit. I don't know what's going on, if it was the anxiety from my two crashes mixed with the heat but I felt terrible. Before Dana Point I never worried about getting dropped from a crit, and now I've had two in a row.

Have you guys been in this situation where you hit a point in the season where you feel weaker and your performance drops? What do you guys do in this situation... because right now I'm feeling pretty down on racing.
Old 05-17-09, 08:47 PM
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take some time off. Ride for fun instead of training for a little while and you should come around.
Old 05-17-09, 08:55 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
You're getting a new bike soon, think you deserve it now?

That always got me riding harder

(Have you been eating/hydrating well lately?)
Old 05-17-09, 09:06 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You sound impatient, Nick. There's only one winner in each race. So maybe you need to stop worrying so much about results and learn from the process. Would it work better for you if you considered racing more like an apprenticeship instead of always being about your results?
Old 05-17-09, 09:31 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
You sound impatient, Nick. There's only one winner in each race. So maybe you need to stop worrying so much about results and learn from the process. Would it work better for you if you considered racing more like an apprenticeship instead of always being about your results?
It's not so much about the position I'm more frustrated about falling off the back and not finishing at all... just in this last race have even considered attempting at a top 10 placing but now it seems like back to the drawing board at just staying in the pack. I'm not saying I'm not a bit impatient but I'm just a bit surprised to see my fitness appearing to go backwards suddenly.

As far as hydration and eating, I've been eating a little less because I feel like I've put on some weight but I also haven't been training as hard lately between the two crashes and a cold last month that hung on.
Old 05-17-09, 09:33 PM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take break from racing. Nobody says you have to race.
Old 05-17-09, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
I raced Ontario 4/5 today, the heat was absolutely oppressive (I live by the beach and am not acclimated to hot weather). I noticed as soon as I got on the freeway driving out there my HR went up, I had a lot on my mind and haven't really been training or racing as much lately. The last time I did Ontario I felt amazing and had really high hopes. My last race was Dana Point and it was my first 4 race, I got shelled out the back but felt ok because of how fast the race was.

As soon as I started warming up today I felt terrible, my legs felt fatigued, my HR was high and I wasn't motivated. By the time the race started I felt no better and I quickly ended up at the back of the peloton, could barely breath and even though my legs felt like they had the gas to attack, my lungs didn't. After 20 minutes my HR was at 95-98% and I was falling off the peloton, I pulled out embarrassed and frustrated.

Once I sat down I instantly started to feel better aside from some sore lungs, two races, I figured then that a lot of it had to do with stress/anxiety. Two times getting dropped in a row, I honestly felt like I wanted to quit. I don't know what's going on, if it was the anxiety from my two crashes mixed with the heat but I felt terrible. Before Dana Point I never worried about getting dropped from a crit, and now I've had two in a row.

Have you guys been in this situation where you hit a point in the season where you feel weaker and your performance drops? What do you guys do in this situation... because right now I'm feeling pretty down on racing.
I saw you at registration talking to Irma after you dropped out. I was going to give you the pep talk and tell you not to worry and remember that you were getting a new bike, blah, blah, blah.. Anyways I was a little behind schedule and a little nervous for my race which is unusual (the nervousness, not being a little late),and I didn't want to get into too long of a conversation so I headed to the outhouse. Anyways, chin up and don't worry about it. Sometimes you just have to suffer a little more in the heat. I love the heat, but not many do.
Old 05-17-09, 09:37 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
It took me a while after riding after my crash to be able to handle riding in a faster pack, but more so finding the draft.

Train harder, give your body a rest if you need it. I'm weaker than I was last week because of finals and work, but life gets in the way sometimes. Just keep getting out there and staying on, and you'll get there.

Ride with hard groups when you can't race. Keep working hard and stay honest.

This is still your first year racing, there's nothing wrong with not meeting your goals yet.
Old 05-17-09, 09:38 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redal
I saw you at registration talking to Irma after you dropped out. I was going to give you the pep talk and tell you not to worry and remember that you were getting a new bike, blah, blah, blah.. Anyways I was a little behind schedule and a little nervous for my race which is unusual (the nervousness, not being a little late),and I didn't want to get into too long of a conversation so I headed to the outhouse. Anyways, chin up and don't worry about it. Sometimes you just have to suffer a little more in the heat. I love the heat, but not many do.
Hey it's the thought that counts lol, man I wish I knew who you were, what team do you race for? As far as the heat goes, no matter what it's always made me feel like death.
Old 05-17-09, 09:42 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I'm been focusing a lot on my new bike and getting that set up and not really thinking about racing. Anywho thanks for all the positive words, I just kinda left Ontario today feeling like I was going backwards in my progress.

On another note, DID ANY OF YOU SO-CAL PPL FEEL THAT QUAKE JUST NOW?!?! THAT **** WAS BANANAS!
Old 05-17-09, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. I upgraded to 4's this year too. First race I was pulled, next race I felt good and finished in the pack. Ive since had 4 top 10's, and only a limiter is keeping me from the podium. Id say train smarter and race smarter, dont waste time or energy. When you are fit enough you can start thinking about strategy and placings.
Old 05-17-09, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got shelled three races in a row at SuperWeek last year.

I only finished 5 of the 9 races I did in the series. I think my best placing was in the 40s (although there were always 120+ starters).

Then I realized that the people I was competing against get paid to ride their bikes, people had come from all over the country to do these races, and that I'm still relatively new to the game.
Old 05-17-09, 09:46 PM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sure, it can be discouraging...but, from what I've read about your riding prior to this thread, you were making good progress...chill a bit...all will be well...
Old 05-17-09, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get used to the heat. Ride in the heat, and don't use the AC in your car and house.
Old 05-17-09, 09:54 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 05-17-09, 09:55 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericm979
You can get used to the heat. Ride in the heat, and don't use the AC in your car and house.
That's what I did actually drove out there with the windows down, the air quality was TERRIBLE though.

Anywho I'll be working different hours this summer so I'll be training in Burbank/Pasadena from 5:30-9ish at night and in that town it can still easily be 100 degrees at that time, so I'll be getting my fair share of heat training.
Old 05-17-09, 10:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey it's the thought that counts lol, man I wish I knew who you were, what team do you race for? As far as the heat goes, no matter what it's always made me feel like death.
I race for SC Velo. I was getting my number when you were asking Irma for your keys and talking about the heat. EricM and Duke of Kent both bring up good points. I think I race well in the heat and wind because I train in it.
Old 05-17-09, 11:00 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I race for SC Velo. I was getting my number when you were asking Irma for your keys and talking about the heat. EricM and Duke of Kent both bring up good points. I think I race well in the heat and wind because I train in it.
Oh that's you?! It looked like you were about to say something lol. How'd your race go?
Old 05-17-09, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh that's you?! It looked like you were about to say something lol. How'd your race go?
I got 2nd. Like Duke says, I got beat by a guy that gets paid to race his bike. Oh, he's USPRO Crit. Champ too.
Old 05-17-09, 11:26 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got 2nd. Like Duke says, I got beat by a guy that gets paid to race his bike. Oh, he's USPRO Crit. Champ too.
Oh man congrats, Bahatti is a monster.
Old 05-17-09, 11:36 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nick, that sounds like how my year went last year. I had just moved into the 4s and did "ok" (read:not dropped) for a few races early in the season and then was just shelled constantly, race after race. I took some time off of racing, went back to just "riding a lot" and did about 1 race a month. Somewhere around July my form really started falling in place and I was doing really well in Sisquoc until my teammate crashed in front of me and then won San Ardo (ok, the "B" field) in August. If you aren't feeling it you just need to pull back a bit until you start frothing at the mouth to get back out there again.

Also, regarding the heat, I generally do pretty well in the heat but there is always a period of readjustment each year when it heats up again. Usually it heats up gradually but it has been really freaky this year. It was 60 then it was suddenly 80 and then 60 again and this weekend was like 90-100 depending on where were. Last week was pretty cool here but the week before was 100 in the day and 90 at night, which fueled the fire. The sudden changes have made it harder for me to adjust this year.
Old 05-17-09, 11:38 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Nick, that sounds like how my year went last year. I had just moved into the 4s and did "ok" (read:not dropped) for a few races early in the season and then was just shelled constantly, race after race. I took some time off of racing, went back to just "riding a lot" and did about 1 race a month. Somewhere around July my form really started falling in place and I was doing really well in Sisquoc until my teammate crashed in front of me and then won San Ardo (ok, the "B" field) in August. If you aren't feeling it you just need to pull back a bit until you start frothing at the mouth to get back out there again.

Also, regarding the heat, I generally do pretty well in the heat but there is always a period of readjustment each year when it heats up again. Usually it heats up gradually but it has been really freaky this year. It was 60 then it was suddenly 80 and then 60 again and this weekend was like 90-100 depending on where were. Last week was pretty cool here but the week before was 100 in the day and 90 at night, which fueled the fire. The sudden changes have made it harder for me to adjust this year.
Cool man, I've been racing considerably last this month and last but haven't been motivated to get back out there though... it's weird I think it has a lot to do with the crashing. After Dana I just wasn't feeling racing, I'm going to race next weekend and if it's the same thing I'll step back and just ride more. As far as the heat goes I'd say this is the hottest weather I've ever ridden hard in.
Old 05-17-09, 11:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man congrats, Bahatti is a monster.
He's not a monster, he just sprints faster than me. He's a good friend too and I was really impressed that he went pretty much pull for pull with us in the break and chased me down twice (he had a little help the 2nd time).
Old 05-17-09, 11:46 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's not a monster, he just sprints faster than me. He's a good friend too and I was really impressed that he went pretty much pull for pull with us in the break and chased me down twice (he had a little help the 2nd time).
Yah I hear he's not exactly the strongest overall rider. Watching him win MBGP last summer when i was off the bike due to some bizarre medical issues that turned out to be nothing is what got me motivated to want to race, so I always enjoy watching him.
Old 05-17-09, 11:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah I hear he's not exactly the strongest overall rider. Watching him win MBGP last summer when i was off the bike due to some bizarre medical issues that turned out to be nothing is what got me motivated to want to race, so I always enjoy watching him.

He was impressive today. And he's always fast as hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.