Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Forecast Calls for RAIN

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first race is this Saturday-Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO, 47 miles, 5,700 feet of climbing, 10,800 ft. max. elevation. The basic route is: long gradual climb, plateau, long steep climb, big descent, long steep climb, long steep descent to finish. The forecasts I've looked at vary from 50 to 70% chance of rain (and snow), start time temps in the 40s in town, colder up high.

The organizers will shorten or cancel the race if the weather is too bad: last year’s race was canceled due to snowy roads at the higher elevations.

So, assuming the event goes off, what’s a guy to wear in anticipation of getting wet in this event? Full raingear seems way too much for climbing like this but avoiding hypothermia would be nice.

I have very little experience riding in the rain and no experience racing-my current wardrobe plan is: ss underarmor, ss jersery, 2 pairs arm warmers, vest, bibs, knee warmers, wool socks, toe covers, liner gloves, regular gloves, cycling cap, helmet, amber glasses. None of this is rainproof, but should insulate until completely soaked through...? The wind vest should keep the core temp up as long as the body is working...? Does anyone have any advice on this or suggestions?

(For the record, my attitude is that this event is for and about the climbing. I’m not a speed freak and even on dry roads wont be hammering the descents)
Old 05-20-09, 08:40 AM
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rain gear depends on the temperature. I plan on getting wet, then dress appropriately for the temperature.

If it's warm and rainy, I don't usually wear anything extra, sometimes I'll wear a little less. The extra gear will just soak up the water and make you uncomfortable. Soggy socks are the worst.

If it's cold and rainy, I'll wear rainproof gear over top of my warm weather gear. Arm warmers are just plain nasty when it's cold and they get wet, so a waterproof windbreaker is usually in order.

YMMV, of course
Old 05-20-09, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
search engine. plenty of info about this to be found.
Old 05-20-09, 12:22 PM
Cat 4

Bikes: Blue RC6AL - Rival Build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is a feeding area (not sure if they have one for that short of distance) near the summit, but some newspaper in the feeding bag. Then stuff it inside your jersey for the decent, which will help with some warmth, and I believe the pros do this sometimes.
Old 05-20-09, 01:27 PM
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
I'm also doing the Ironhorse this weekend. It should be noted that we aren't talking little kickers here, we're talking about mountain passes over 10k feet. Fast times are under 2:45 for only 55 miles.

If its raining in Durango when we start my bet is that it will be cancelled or shortened. It will be 10 degrees colder in Silverton than in Durango, and 20-30 degress colder at the top of the passes. I'll be bringing good warm gloves, a windproof/water resistant vest, arm warmers, and a backup wind jacket just in case (folds up very tiny). The layers underneath, I don't know yet.
Old 05-20-09, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for chiming in ZeCannon, I tried to express the point that the conditions for this event might be a little more extreme than a "typical" rainy road race. Good luck to you, maybe it won't rain after all...