Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 10 speed - can't get it to shift properly

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-21-09, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I switched my 2008 Campagnolo Centaur (now with 2009 Centaur shifters) setup onto a new to me frame a few months ago. Since it was winter and I had an incredible amount of work to do, I was not using this bike much, and did not get the shifting sorted. I've recently gotten back to it, and suspect a bent derailleur hanger.

When shifting from the second largest sprocket to the third largest sprocket (but only in the big ring up front), the shift is delayed by a few seconds. This is not a common shift in practice but it certainly points to a problem.

When shifting from the second to the third smallest sprockets in the small ring, the shift is either delayed or just does not occur (you can just hear the noise of a misaligned chain).

Interestingly, shifting from the biggest sprocket to the second biggest in the 53t is fine, and shifting from the smallest to the second smallest sprocket is also problem-free. The middle of the cassette functions well in both directions as well.

When I set this exact equipment up on my last frame, it took minutes and there was a lot of margin for error. This time, dialing in the shifting even to this degree required minute turns of the cable tension adjustment on the rear derailleur.

I took it to one of my LBS and the mechanic went at it with a straightening tool for awhile, but warned me that as it is aluminum it would probably not do much good. The mechanic also tried to dial in the shifting and could not do it. He suggested that it could be cable friction. I realigned the cable and housing as it enters the shifter and may have perceived a slight change after playing with it and retaping the bar, but the issue has not gone away.

To me it seems like the derailleur hanger is bent and causing these issues. What does it sound like to you? The frame is a 2007 Felt SC1 so it is a bit tough sourcing a new derailleur hanger. I think that I have to go to a Felt dealer and have them order it.
Old 05-21-09, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it sound like it is the hanger.once replace and the problem is still there yes i would recheck the cable friction again. replace the cables and housing if needed. maybe your taping is to tighten which is causing the friction.
Old 05-21-09, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Try a Shimano trick on it, clean out the shifters with WD40. And yes, I would replace the shift cables and cable housings. The short housing just before the rear derailleur is often guilty of excess friction.

Last edited by Al1943; 05-21-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Don't apply WD-40 to brand new Campy shifters. Bad idea. If there really is a problem with the ergo lever, it's covered under warranty, but the '09 models are also much easier to disassemble. I've done it several times already, but not to repair problems, just to experiment with them.

Did you use the new ultra low firction cable housings that should have come with the shifters? If not, that is a must on the right side, for the RD.

Cable friction is easy to diagnose. If you apply enough cable tension, all of the shifts to larger cogs will execute properly, but those to smaller cogs will hesitate. Reducing the cable tension won't fix the problem, if it's friction related.

Even an aluminum RD hanger can be aligned, providing it's not badly bent from a wreck. Minor realignment should be simple with the Park alignment tool.

Be sure that the cable is properly attached to the RD.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 05-22-09 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like hanger problems. Usually those are the hardest to catch, but relatively simple to fix (well, not for you unless you have that tool around)
Old 05-22-09, 05:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. These are brand new shifters so I do not think that they are the problem. I did use brand new ultra-low friction housings, and the RD to chainstay housing was left at its uncut length as I've often heard suggested. The cable friction theory was a result of the mechanic getting the shifts to larger sprockets fairly smooth but still a hesitation shifting down at one point on the cassette. He kind of squeezed me in as a walk-in but we did stand there for a good 40 minutes at least trying to get it to work.

The guy did use an alignment tool for awhile. I'm dropping by a Felt dealer today in the hope that they may have a hanger for this frame laying around. Considering it shouldn't cost very much it's a no-brainer to see if that works. I really don't know what else it could be.

Last edited by lukasz; 05-22-09 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Success! New derailleur hanger acquired. Once I get out of work we shall see if this does anything. Any tricks to installing these? I mean, it is just one bolt but who knows.
Old 05-22-09, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No trick, just be gentle because for the most part they are not made of steel.