Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fizik Saddles??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fizik Saddles??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fizik Saddles??

HI,
I ve been checking out those Fizik winged saddles and they seem like a good idea, does any have on with a few miles on it, I ve noticed that if I ride with a saddle with a wide nose I will have glutes cramps after about 15 miles .
I want a nice saddle that allow some support with out to much gel
Ive tried a brooks B17 it was nice for shorter ride but go over 20 miles and your ars would start to cramp.
Doug
Old 05-21-09, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the Arione and the Aliante. Both were too narrow for me, although I liked the Arione very much as long as the rides were not too long. The issue was more my wide seat bones than the saddle. I like the Arione design with a longer seat and a rear tip than raises a bit making it very nice during climbs.

They now have a wider version of the Arione called the Antares. I haven't tried it.

Many swear about the Aliante, it didn't work for me as I prefer flatter type saddles such as the Arione.
Old 05-21-09, 09:36 PM
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty much an individual thing. I use the Aliante on my road bikes and it works well for me. I've heard from plenty of riders for whom it doesn't...

You might want to check if any of your local shops would allow you to test ride saddles.
Old 05-21-09, 09:38 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the Aliante. It's second only to my Brooks B-17 Narrow.
Old 05-21-09, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Many Fizik dealers have the new orange saddle loaner program. You choose one of the 3 and if you like it, you can buy one.
Old 05-21-09, 10:40 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've been riding the Aliante for a few years now, the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. I ride lots of long rides (26 centuries last year, 7500 miles) and I never have issues with that point of contact. I recently tried a Selle Italia saddle for a month, but went back to the Aliante so I could forget about my butt and enjoy the ride. The orange saddle loaner program is a great idea, you should look into that.
Old 05-21-09, 11:04 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have over 25,000 miles on my Aliante. It's really the only saddle I have used, so can't compare it to anything else. But, obviously, I like mine. Flat saddles don't work for me.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-22-09, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a Fizik Pave saddle on each of my four bikes. Its the saddle that works for me. Unfortunately they don't make the saddle the same way they used to, so I guess I'll be having these recovered in time rather than buying replacements.

Despite this endorsement, you should really understand that any place where the rider contacts the bike (hands, feet and especially the ever so sensitive rear end) is not a place where equipment recommendations help (or mean) much of anything. What works for one does not necessarily work for another. And this type of personal search can take quite some time, good luck and when you find something that works for you, purchase multiples as the company will surely stop making the model you like.
Old 05-22-09, 07:54 AM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Aliante. I've got two now, but when I got the first (standard on the bike) I expected to replace it with an Arione but never felt the need.

I'd suggest the loaner program to see what works best for you.

Last edited by Baftap; 05-22-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 09:35 AM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
If you're looking at the Aliante, look at the San Marco Concor too. For me it does what the Aliante does, but better.
Old 05-22-09, 12:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I tried the Arione and thought it was pretty good. After a few hours of riding something was bothering me and I just couldn't get comfortable. It didn't hurt, it just didn't feel right to me. I put a Brooks Swift on my bike now and after 800 miles, I hope and think I have a keeper.
Old 05-22-09, 01:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a couple of Fizic saddles and they have joined the collection in the spares box.

Have to admit that the Arionne was comfortable for 6 months- then in one ride My butt cried enough. Took my old saddle off the MTB a Selle- Max gel and have used that ever since. Then the TCR came with a NoName Fizic and that lasted a week. I then took the Saddle off the OCR and used that one ever since- a San Marco Aero.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-23-09, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Airone and have close to a thousand miles and plan on keeping it. I like it but would be intrested in Aliante from the posts I have read here. But changing saddles seems a rather time consuming thing so until I dislike the Arione ....I'm keeping on keeping on.
Old 05-24-09, 06:17 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Bought a Serfas saddle: https://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=58 , and has to be one of the most comfortable saddles I've owned (and I've owned a few!)--firm padding-but not a brick-wide enough for support, and the nose isn't real wide. Plus it didn't break the bank, and they have a good return policy should you not like it.
Old 05-24-09, 06:51 AM

Bikes: 1991 Trek 2300 Pro Composite, 2009 Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I tried the Arione and thought it was pretty good... I put a Brooks Swift on my bike now and after 800 miles, I hope and think I have a keeper.
+1

Alas, I also went the opposite direction of the OP. I used a Fizik Gobi on one bike for a few years - felt good, not great. I rode and enjoyed an Arione on my road bike for many years, that is, until last year when my perineum pleaded, "No more!" I now ride Brooks Imperial (standards) on both bikes, contentedly so.
Old 05-24-09, 07:06 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Saddles are a very individual thing. My only experience with a Fizik is the Vitesse and I did not like it at all. It was way to hard. My ATF saddle is the Selle San Marco ERA. I have more than one road bike and each one that I ride with any regulatity gets one. The ERA has been described by some as "awful" and "riding on a rock", but I really like it.
I guess what I'm saying is, just because others like a saddle doesn't mean you will. And, conversly, just because someone dislikes a saddle, doesn't mean you won't like it.
Old 05-24-09, 07:59 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
found on ebay for 45.00

HI,
found one on Ebay for 45.00 will try and let you know.
Seems like a good deal.
Doug
Most I find online are near or over 100.00
Old 05-24-09, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have at least 10,000 miles on the Aliante saddles. It is wider than the Airone and is a hammock style saddle. I think it is the best and is offered in many price points, Sport, Gamma, Ti, Carbon rail so you don't have to spend a boat load to try it. Also as mentioned earlier they have a loaner program with selected dealers.

Another saddle that surprisingly has worked for me is the Selle Signo line of saddles. Totally different than the Aliante.