Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Smithfield Nocturne Grumble

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 03:34 PM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Ok, it's two weeks away, and I've had no confirmation, no details, no race number. Nothing, in fact, but the email that said "Thanks for your £20, we'll let you know if we decide you can enter". At this point, I'm perilously close to becoming a total hater. If, after filling in the entry form and paying, I'm not racing, then I'm not going or having anything to do with it. If they don't even bother to TELL me I'm not racing, then I'll be doing everything in my power to talk anyone else out of going. What the hell is wrong with these people?
Old 05-22-09, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just imagine if you bought a travel case, booked your vacation time, rung up round trip transatlantic tickets, and arranged accomodations... in anticipation of the event. Not that I have done this... but I'm just saying. Can you imagine how bananas you would be?
Old 05-22-09, 11:21 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So first they take your money then say you might be allowed to participate? What the hell kind of event is this? I smell scam.
Old 05-23-09, 03:10 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's a very real event, run for the last two years, but when you register, you get the impression that it's first come first served, and if you're in, you're in. As it turns out, some weeks later they thank you for registering, and say they'll let you know whether or not you've made it. Which they haven't.
Old 05-23-09, 03:21 AM

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sammy, this is how they are, unfortunately..it was exactly the same last year, they only emailed out the info after entries had closed (on Monday for this year's). They're a professional outfit, but they do act a bit amateur. After my heat had finished, I spent ages trying to find out what my final position was (I knew I hadn't made the final, still wanted to know). Nothing as simple as putting a notice up, you had to find the race director....
Old 05-23-09, 05:43 AM
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm feeling very much like just bailing out. It's my birthday, and I want to know what I'm doing - I'd much rather plan something else than wait til the last minute and find I'm not in. I would say that whether or not they get paid for this, they're definitely not professional in its fullest sense.
Old 05-23-09, 06:28 AM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
If, after filling in the entry form and paying, I'm not racing, then I'm not going or having anything to do with it. If they don't even bother to TELL me I'm not racing, then I'll be doing everything in my power to talk anyone else out of going. What the hell is wrong with these people?
It's not being run by MP's is it? The arrogance of approach makes it seem possible.

Old 05-23-09, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year, I didn't get the email with info until the 29th. You'll be in, so will I (and rickybails..if he can't get in as winner in '07 and third last year..!). I can't see them suddenly deciding to have a smaller event etc. They have 80 spots available, if memory serves there were 69 racers last year, they know how popular it is for competitors and spectators alike (and they have a Mu P8 prize bike to pay for). And it was the highlight of the evening. Elite Criterium? Yawn.... Believe me, I know how frustrating the lack of communication is, plus the poor wording of that email. It's worth the stress, and you get to meet some interesting people with interesting bikes. Or failing that, me
Old 05-23-09, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The daft thing about the lack of direct communication is that they do talk- via the email newsletter, updates on their Facebook page....just not to us bods who've stumped up the cash to pay for it...yes I know they have sponsors. But no competitors, no event.

Further update: just checked my Facebook a/c, they've posted that they've now put the rider lists for Edinburgh (this coming Saturday) online. 24 folder spots filled out of 40, closing date was yesterday but they've held it open for the time being....talk about last minute...

Last edited by StuAff; 05-23-09 at 06:47 AM.