Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A better 50 mile ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A better 50 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 01:21 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A better 50 mile ride

The weather forecast for this weekend called for lots of light rain and some thunderstorms. Not exactly what I was hoping for two weeks before I'll be doing a week of 50 to 70 mile rides on BRAG, especially when my one attempt at a 50 miler this year was less than ideal. I had finished that 50, but bonked hard at about 40 miles and limped in the remaining 10 miles. I had planned on riding the Challenge of the Centuries in Hartwell, GA this weekend for a chance to get in 2 long rides in somewhat hilly terrain - good training for BRAG. But with the bad forecast, I decided to stay home and get in whatever rides I could manage during the 3 day weekend.

This morning was very overcast and high sixties heading for low seventees by mid afternoon. Forecast called for light rain with thunderstorms likely after 2pm. After oversleeping and having a good breakfast, I hit the road at 9:30. It was not raining but looked like it could start at any minute. I took along a rain jacket just in case. I picked a moderately hilly route with light traffic. I prepared for my nutitional and hydration needs by carrying two large water bottles with Nuun and water in one and Juven and water in the other. A flask full of CarbBoom gel was packed in a handy flask carrier that strapped to my stem with velcro. I forgot to grab a bottle of Ensure that I had planned to drink about mid ride.

I started easy and kept the pace moderate for the full ride. I felt pretty good and had no trouble on the hills. I finally ran into a little rain at about 20 miles. I stopped and put on the rain jacket but stopped again to remove it 5 miles later when the rain stopped. My gel flask was empty when I came into downtown at 30 miles, so I stopped at the bike shop and bought a hammer gel. I headed back toward home to get off the bike by 2pm when the thunderstorms were predicted. Since there was still no rain, I took a few side roads to add miles, hoping to get in 50 miles. Instead of limping home for the last 10 miles, I was finding as many hills as I could to get in more hill climbing practice. I got home about quarter to two with 51 miles on the computer.

I don't know if it was the better nutrition or if I'm just getting stronger, but I felt great after the ride. I'm feeling much better about being ready for BRAG now. I won't be trying to set any speed records, especially on the first two days when we'll be riding in the mountains, but the distance should be no problem. Hopefully I can get in some decent rides tomorrow and Monday to practice for the day after day riding.

No pictures today as I didn't want to risk getting the camera wet.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-23-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 01:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like it was a pretty good ride despite the rain and nutrition issue. I have to ride about 20 miles 1 way to get some small hills in. I did 50 miles Saturday and I usually take my gel after about 2 hours. I can feel it kick in and I just get a smile on my face. I cant believe how good that stuff works.

I'm reading " It's Not About the Bike" again for the third time and it reminds me of what your going through now and what I went though as well. Man that's some scary stuff. Anyway it sounds like you got a pretty good handle on it and good luck with the BRAG.
Old 05-23-09, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you did it right, Dawg. Well done.

Weather in Louisiana about the same. I had to get my truck inspected, stock up on coffee etc. Got a late start. I had to use my rain jacket as well. At least we got to ride.

Good luck on BRAG.
Old 05-23-09, 04:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Very, very nice! I bet it was the combination of the increased riding plus the nutrition and gels. Your body is remembering what it was like to comfortably do distance rides and responding very well. You're the one person with enough discipline to adhere to your plan so no need to remind you to stay within yourself early on in your BRAG rides!!
Old 05-23-09, 05:25 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very encouraging news. Nice step up from your last outing. It will be interesting to read how you do tomorrow.

That is nice cool weather for Georgia this time of the year.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-23-09, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Very, very nice! I bet it was the combination of the increased riding plus the nutrition and gels. Your body is remembering what it was like to comfortably do distance rides and responding very well. You're the one person with enough discipline to adhere to your plan so no need to remind you to stay within yourself early on in your BRAG rides!!
+1

Take it easy, and remember...your best riding days are still ahead.
Old 05-24-09, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds to me like you're endurance is coming back, though I know little of nutrition and such.
I'm just happy that your mileage is getting back up. Ride on Dawg!!