Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reporting the Numbers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Reporting the Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Reporting the Numbers

Despite our esteemed founder's disdain for reporting the numbers, we're going to throw caution to the wind and share some meaningful measurements.

Ol' Fuj and I made good our escape from northwest AR on Friday afternoon and headed to LA (Louisiana). Fuj's personal bike transporter carried us the 463 miles in good time and without incident.

On Saturday morning, we had several details to complete before the day's ride could commence. We got the annual inspection done on the bike transporter, stocked up on good coffee, went to couple of gun stores, and came home and changed the oil.

Our weather was and still is, iffy, with rain and thunder popping up at random times and in random places. Fuj and I got wet and got in 41 miles on Saturday. Fortunately, we only got wet and not electrified. No pictures from the ride, but we did document part of the award ceremony after the ride.

The last time we posted something like this, it was 3 pounds. This time it was 5 pounds! Now you see 'um (boiled crawfish).

Now, you don't!

My lips and fingers burned until this morning, the sign of a good batch! The crawfish season is almost over, so we thought we should strike while the iron was hot.

Today, Sunday, we got in another 41 miles, got wet, and got a few pictures.

This road parallels a local bayou, which is on the left. In some places, the trees almost form a tunnel over the road.

The flow of water in the bayou is very slow, and there aren't any rocks in the stream as there are in northwest AR. It is, therefore, a very quiet and peaceful ride. About the only thing we heard was a bull frog or two.

After we left the bayou, we rode on toward LSU at Alexandria. It is a small campus and fairly nondescript except for several stately live oaks. Here is Ol' Fuj taking a break in the shade.

I never cease to be amazed at these trees and the huge low-hanging branches, some of which could be whole trees in their own right. The moment arm (leverage, I suppose) at the end of these branches has to be tremendous, but they don't give way.

We were going to turn south to LeCompte, but we saw rain and headed north toward Alexandria. After about three miles, we discovered that the rear tire was flat! A sharp stone had pierced the casing. We also discovered that the cap over the end of the head on the Road Morph was missing. How nice.

We were able to get about 50 or 60 pounds in the tire and began to limp back home, all the while fearing the occurrence of a pinch flat.

As we approached a convenience store, we remembered that a couple of years ago, we had purchased one of these neat little schrader adapters for a buck and a half and placed it in the seat bag. Although it had never been pressed into service, we decided to try it.

It worked! After depositing $0.75 in the air compressor (which, as we all know, was free in the past!), we let the little bugger pressure up and gave the tire about a one-half-second shot of air. Bingo!

Although there was another light shower in progress at this point, we were happy to see this sign. It meant we were within about 4 miles from home.

The Kisatchie is a beautiful area, although most of the roads through it are not something that Fuj and I could navigate as they are mostly gravel. I did notice that some of the huckleberries are ripe. They're very tasty!

Tomorrow, we'll have the kids here with boyfriends, girl friends, and more food. We may not get to ride, but then we've had two good ones this weekend.

Amongst the food and fellowship tomorrow, we will be mindful of the sacrifices of the dead Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Coasties who made all of this possible. Would that we never forget!
Old 05-25-09, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LOOKS TO BE great food and great ride/It should easily match a ride in washington county maine ending with lobster rolls for me.[not that id turn down the crodads./Kenneth
Old 05-26-09, 12:23 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
After reading and seeing your, red riders and mojo's ride reports, I'm beginning to think about moving someplace different. Much as I enjoy my local routes, there is something about seeing a different type of terrain that makes the legs get a little twitchy!
Old 05-26-09, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Much as I enjoy my local routes, there is something about seeing a different type of terrain that makes the legs get a little twitchy!
Northwest Arkansas has some beautiful rides and vistas, but it is nice to be able to enjoy a variety of routes in south Arkansas and at the permanent residence in Louisiana. I've been fortunate enough to be able to participate in some organized rides nearby in southwest Missouri and and northeast Oklahoma as well. This adds to the enjoyment... smiles per mile.
Old 05-26-09, 09:46 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to live in Baton Rouge and in Krotz Springs. Ate my weight in mudbugs and washed em down with a river of cold beer. Fortunately we do have crawfish out here in sunny northern CA. Isleton has an annual crawfish festival and the bugs are plentiful due to the rice fields. There is a difference though. LA crawfish are a bit better I must admit. Enjoyed the pics and the report.
Old 05-26-09, 10:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh mud Bugs. I don't know if 5 pounds will be enough. Add some hot Andouille and I might even try a trip like that.
Old 05-27-09, 05:42 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've never thought of crawfish as cycling food but I love 'em terribly just the same!!
Old 05-27-09, 05:47 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I'm jealous. Haven't had mudbugs like that since visiting a family friend in Iota. He passed away a few years ago and I've never made it back.

It's a beautiful are filled with great food and wonderful people. And, it seems, some good biking.
Old 05-27-09, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like the food and the area, this is a good ride I have been told - https://www.cyclezydeco.com/ - the registration fills up very quickly shortly following the current year so I have not been able to make it yet but one of these days - - -
Old 05-27-09, 08:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hmmm. Makes me hungry. Glad my wife and I are heading to Savannah this weekend. Not taking bikes. We'll just walk around, see the sights and eat. We might get into some crawfish, but I'm sure we'll be partaking of some of their oceanic cousins.
Old 05-27-09, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like you had a great ride and you took some nice pictures. My Road Morph had the little insert missing when I had my first flat, I was about 2 miles from the car so it wasn't to bad.