Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Low Budget Man

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Low Budget Man

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 11:02 PM

Bikes: giant tcr comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low Budget Man

First time tourer to be. I currently have a carbon fiber TCR (Giant). I assume that though it is a very nice bike (in my standards) that there are better options out there. I was thinking of going with something simple but reliable such as a Trek 1000. Any opinions? Ya or nah? My main goal is to keep the setup under $750. I am open to buying used equipment.
Old 05-26-09, 11:20 PM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I'm on a VERY low budget myself, and I can say that if you have a bicycle co-op around, sometimes you'll find a really good bicycle and can pick them up for free if you're willing to help the shop out a few hours : ) I found a miyata valley runner (yes, with a biopace crankset) that will do just the trick if it's not too big. if it is, they have tons of other frames around. it's really a good deal, and the old steel frames are bulletproof.

On a separate note, I'm really proud of the alcohol stove that I made : ) plan on making a few more for the trip.

nashbar panniers will round out my equipment on the cheap side.

a typical touring bike nowandays goes for around 1000 flat without panniers or racks. I figure I can come out under 300 for everything including equipment. Plus you get the added benefit of bringing old "junk" back to life : ) I'm hoping it will be more rewarding to know that my bicycle is free.

I looked at a few trek 1000 bikes : ) they seem pretty good to me, you may want to get an expedition rack to give you a little more clearance for your heels.

*end side rant over excitement*
Old 05-27-09, 05:45 AM

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Actually, I was just about to start a thread called "post a pic of your budget tourer" which I will do as soon as I can get mine all loaded up and take a pic of it. My budget was around $300 for everything. For that $$, I picked up a 1985 Stumpjumper Sport on CL for $95 (the thing is bombproof and has an 18" chainstay), got the waterproof Nashbar front and rear panniers on sale (rear were $38 and the front I paid more for, think it was around $50 or so), got both front and rear racks from Nashbar on sale (rear for $17 and front for $15). Even picked up the little Nashbar front rack that mounts on your canti bosses b/c I really liked the small front bag that goes w/ it (picked up the rack for $10 and also the bag for $10) so that grand total for bike + racks + bag came to $235 if I'm adding right. Had to do a few mods to my Stumpjumper. Replaced the nice Specialized crank (26-36-46 rings) w/ a low end Shimano mtn crank (on sale at Nashbar for $20) b/c I wanted the lower gearing (22-32-42) and it works great. I had a really nice IRD 6 spd freewheel on another bike of mine that I swapped in and also misc spare parts from other used bikes I'd picked up for low dollars on CL (drop bars from a Shogun, stem shifters from a Schwinn etc and a pair of cross top levers I'd picked up a year or two ago but never used. New bar tape from Nashbar was $6. And I added some SKS fenders on sale from Nashbar also for I think $25 so that brings the total now is $286, still under budget. I'm still amassing some more camping gear (cookset, better pad) and even cycling sandals but some far, I've been able to get those items one way or another so that my budget is still intact.

Last edited by erbfarm; 05-27-09 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 07:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the little bit of research that I have done over the past week looking into buying a bike, it seems that people on low budgets are riding rigid mountain bikes. Being a road racer, I feel that I am to much of a weight weenie to convince myself that the mountain bike would be a better choice. That is why I originally suggested the Trek 1000. What are the benefits of riding a modified mountain bike as oppose to a road bike? Also, it seams as a psychocross bike would make a good rig, are they often used?
Old 05-27-09, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the old rigid mountain bikes are used typically due to being steel, the geometry is accomodating, they typically have eyelets for racks and have long chainstays. also, you can get them pretty cheaply in a lot of cases with all or most of the parts in working order.

most touring folks don't seem to be weight weenies.....most want ruggedness over lightweight.
Old 05-27-09, 11:51 AM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about weight when you've got 50 lbs of gear O:-) and believe it or not, some touring bikes weight as much or more than an old mountain bike. jgsatl mentioned most of the reasons. I mean, they're just easy to find, and if you put drops and a new stem on them, they aren't all that much different really, especially the older mountain bikes, they feel more like a cross bike.
Old 05-27-09, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
and you can't beat the 26" wheelbase + low mtn crank for carrying a load and getting up a hill. It's a pack mule kind of thing. I have a gran turismo and I can't really imagine carrying any gear with it. I really like it as a road bike, but the 27" wheels throw me off.
Old 05-27-09, 04:45 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Rigid mountain bikes are a good budget option.

Or pick up a nice vintage touring bike. I picked up this Miyata 215 for myself off ebay two weeks ago for $165. Bike is spotless.

Old 05-29-09, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what kind of tires are ya'll putting on these 26" wheels?
Old 05-29-09, 08:45 PM

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beauty! Sounds like you got a great deal, congrats

Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 Rigid mountain bikes are a good budget option.

Or pick up a nice vintage touring bike. I picked up this Miyata 215 for myself off ebay two weeks ago for $165. Bike is spotless.

Old 05-30-09, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP, Trek 740 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this site

If you're just getting into touring, here's a good site with lots of good stuff you might want to peruse.

https://www.biketoledo.net