Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 06:04 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
What was the turnround time on that paint job krusty? Price? Clearcoat option? Colour choices?
Old 06-07-09, 07:26 AM
Successful alcoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
What was the turnround time on that paint job krusty? Price? Clearcoat option? Colour choices?
I took it in last Wed, and it was finished the following Fri, so a week and a half total. Cost for one basic colour, blasting and prep included, taxes in, was $84.75.

As I understand it, you can't do multiple colours with powder coat, so no clear is required. I think even if you did one colour, baked, then masked and did a second colour, the first colour might soften as you baked the second. That might be worth looking into. Their selection of colours is quite large, and they have metallics as well. The work is quite acceptable, but there are small flaws if you look closely. It is nowhere near the quality of Noah's paint work.

My photo is rather poorly exposed. The colour of my bike is actually ivory rather than white.
Old 06-07-09, 08:32 AM
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scavenger hunt planned to start at the bike joint (harbord at manning) noon today!

bring a pen and sharp eyes! learn useless fact about the city! win a prize for speed AND accuracy!

the more the merrier!
Old 06-07-09, 09:40 AM
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if there will actually be prizes, but it will be fun for sure.
Old 06-07-09, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by illenvillain
anyone know a good place/person i can get a new bottom bracket from for my track bike?
anyone?
Old 06-07-09, 10:51 AM

Bikes: '08 Marinoni Pista, '05 specialized langster(RIP), '06 norco kokanee(RIP), '05 norco charger(RIP),'08 surly steamroller, surly big dummy coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you could try a bike shop?
Old 06-07-09, 11:20 AM
cab horn

Originally Posted by 2wheelsgood
you could try a bike shop?
LoL
Old 06-07-09, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I had an old Shimano LX bottom bracket in my GT for awhile, I pulled it out of an old mountain bike. They are probably about $20 or so at MEC...
Old 06-07-09, 11:53 AM
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
I don't know if there will actually be prizes, but it will be fun for sure.
Curses!

I'd finished the Ride for Heart by 10 too, though I did have to jet back to see my kid.
Old 06-07-09, 12:33 PM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by illenvillain
anyone?
Depends a little on what you're looking for. Urbane carries a bit of a selection.

Posting thread type (Italian etc.), spindle length, and type (cup/cone or cartridge) and if you need a specific type (ie. campy/non-campy) may get some more coherent responses from folks in the thread who work/live in shops. If you're not sure of that, the frame you're looking to fit is next best.

Probikekit has Miche Primato bb in British thread only for $27 CAD in a couple of spindle lengths
Old 06-07-09, 01:59 PM
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavit8
Probikekit has Miche Primato bb in British thread only for $27 CAD in a couple of spindle lengths
$29 locally at La Bicicletta
Old 06-07-09, 05:12 PM
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ride for Heat + my commute there and back gave me a metric century today, first one too. Rad time, I don't have the strength to walk anymore but Flim myself and another dude made solid time the whole way and I had a blast.
Old 06-07-09, 07:19 PM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I miss that ride. l love that first descent from the Gardiner down to the DVP
Old 06-07-09, 08:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I miss that ride. l love that first descent from the Gardiner down to the DVP
As expected, there were crashes there throughout the morning.
Old 06-07-09, 08:57 PM
cab horn

Bah. Stupid RFH meant I couldn't drive my car down the 404 today. Stupid cyclists!
Old 06-07-09, 09:58 PM
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
The Ride for Heat + my commute there and back gave me a metric century today, first one too.
Nice job.
Old 06-07-09, 11:19 PM

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
Bah. Stupid RFH meant I couldn't drive my car down the 404 today. Stupid cyclists!
The civic hatchback with a 7ft CF wing on the back?
Old 06-08-09, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Depends a little on what you're looking for. Urbane carries a bit of a selection.

Posting thread type (Italian etc.), spindle length, and type (cup/cone or cartridge) and if you need a specific type (ie. campy/non-campy) may get some more coherent responses from folks in the thread who work/live in shops. If you're not sure of that, the frame you're looking to fit is next best.

its for my 06 fuji track...
Old 06-08-09, 07:18 AM
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
are you running stock gearing on that fuji track? ie: oddly dished 48t chainring on the front?

sounds like you need a 103mm bb for an ideal chain line.
Old 06-08-09, 09:09 AM
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
fyi, i don't know how many ppl are hot for gumwall tires but i was searching around online and found an interesting medium that should provide really good ride quality:

TUFO TUBULAR TIRES FOR CLINCHER RIMS:
  • totally new, revolutionary construction
  • low rolling resistance
  • no need for rim liner
  • low weight
  • no need to use glue
  • the easiest and fastest installation from all types of tires, no tools required
  • possibility of high inflation pressures
  • distinctly the safest behavior in case of flats without endangering the stability of the rider
  • in case of emergency can be ridden flat
  • immediate use after installation
  • construction and compactness is equal to tubular tires, riding properties are very close to tubular tires as well
Summary For racing purposes and quality training , or for a ride with feeling of lightness, tubular tires are the obvious choice. Their main advantage is significant saving on weight, not only on the tire itself, but also on the rim. This weight saving can amount for the front and rear wheel in total to 500 grams in comparison to the use of clincher rims and tires. Moreover, this weight saving is realized on the circumference of the rotary parts ( wheels) where, from the physical point of view, in case of acceleration, the low weight has far more importance than the weight of solid parts of a bicycle.
It is necessary to realize that races are won just by acceleration in the right and critical moment, as final sprint, catch-up with the peloton, break off from the peloton.
At the same time low rolling resistance and safety in case of flats are strong arguments for tubular tires. TUFO tubular clincher tire is quite universal. It can be used anywhere tubular or clincher tires are presently utilized (road races, time trials, training, cyclocross events, cyclotourism).
For those who switch from clincher type tires to TUFO tubular clinchers, there is no extra investment. They only have to replace three parts (tire, tube and liner) with only one - TUFO tubular clincher tire. Everyone will soon realize the advantage of easy installation and, in combination with TUFO sealant, the fastest and most effective flat repair without removing the tire from the rim.

prices start at $41.99 + shipping from vancouver.
Old 06-08-09, 10:55 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trueno92
fyi, i don't know how many ppl are hot for gumwall tires but i was searching around online and found an interesting medium that should provide really good ride quality:

TUFO TUBULAR TIRES FOR CLINCHER RIMS:
  • totally new, revolutionary construction
  • low rolling resistance
  • no need for rim liner
  • low weight
  • no need to use glue
  • the easiest and fastest installation from all types of tires, no tools required
  • possibility of high inflation pressures
  • distinctly the safest behavior in case of flats without endangering the stability of the rider
  • in case of emergency can be ridden flat
  • immediate use after installation
  • construction and compactness is equal to tubular tires, riding properties are very close to tubular tires as well
Summary For racing purposes and quality training , or for a ride with feeling of lightness, tubular tires are the obvious choice. Their main advantage is significant saving on weight, not only on the tire itself, but also on the rim. This weight saving can amount for the front and rear wheel in total to 500 grams in comparison to the use of clincher rims and tires. Moreover, this weight saving is realized on the circumference of the rotary parts ( wheels) where, from the physical point of view, in case of acceleration, the low weight has far more importance than the weight of solid parts of a bicycle.
It is necessary to realize that races are won just by acceleration in the right and critical moment, as final sprint, catch-up with the peloton, break off from the peloton.
At the same time low rolling resistance and safety in case of flats are strong arguments for tubular tires. TUFO tubular clincher tire is quite universal. It can be used anywhere tubular or clincher tires are presently utilized (road races, time trials, training, cyclocross events, cyclotourism).
For those who switch from clincher type tires to TUFO tubular clinchers, there is no extra investment. They only have to replace three parts (tire, tube and liner) with only one - TUFO tubular clincher tire. Everyone will soon realize the advantage of easy installation and, in combination with TUFO sealant, the fastest and most effective flat repair without removing the tire from the rim.

prices start at $41.99 + shipping from vancouver.
Those have been around for some time. They work very well and are extremely long lasting. Buy sealant if you purchase them. I wish I still had my cross' ones
Old 06-08-09, 11:11 AM
Building a better Strida

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hey keith, if ur willing to wait a week, u can nab urself a set from here.

https://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/

prices is in canadian and shipping is from vancouver..!

maybe u can lend ur personal experience on this, but how many tubulars have u seen that are slightly out of round?

i am retruing this rear wheel, but wtf, unless my ***** is overly sensitive, i think im still feeling a touch of a hop....
Old 06-08-09, 11:12 AM
Toronto!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best shop for messenger bags?

I'm looking for a new messenger bag and am having trouble finding a selection to choose from.

So far, I've been to Crumpler, Dukes, Urbane, MEC, BOW, Cyclemotive, and Sweet Pete's.
If there are even any in stock, it's slim pickings (except crumpler, but i don't like their stuff).

I'm interested in Chrome, Pac, Incase, and any other high-end brands.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 06-08-09, 11:21 AM
Don't smoke Mike

Bikes: monster island fixie, Fisher sugar, sexine conversion, OLMO Superlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High end custom if you choose: https://under-the-weather.ca/
Old 06-08-09, 11:31 AM

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10mm allen keys are enormous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.