Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

getting better

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

getting better

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting better

I have a training question i guess,
As i just started out riding and can do a 13-14mph for 25 miles ( this is a hard effort )

in order for me to both increase my speed , and distance ( strength in the legs )
so i can ride with some freinds what would be the correct way to go about that ?
should i try to go further but at slower speed, or perhaps faster in a shorter distance,
use a trainer and mash harder gears ? do leg squats or leg press's ?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-09-04, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized, Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
start increasing your milage to 30 mile rides. do this for a couple weeks. see if you can work in rides almost daily. once you have done this for about 2 weeks...choose 2 days a week where you go all out or atleast do intervals. intervals would be going all out at top speed for 3-4 min straight. then relaxing and going slow for 4-5 min over your entire 30 mile route.

also, if you have any large hills/mountains in your area....do them once a week. climbing can improve your speed, and endurance for going longer on the bike.

jf
Old 06-09-04, 11:45 AM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
To put it VERY simply, you'd be better off going fast over 10 miles than slow over 20.