Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newark to Sunnyvale commuter

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 12:34 PM
MTWThFMuter

Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara, brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! By some luck, I ran into Bike Forums. Nothing like it. I love it.

I commute 22 miles from Newark to Sunnyvale (in California), then back. I do this MWF. I ride a Litespeed Arenberg, accessorized with a seatpost rack, a rack bag, and L&M HID Arc Li-Ion. It is wonderful to be living in this part of California. Lots of riding days. I've been doing this since last Winter. Now, it is even worthwhile since unleaded fuel is $2.25 where I live.

Safe and enjoyable rides to all!
Old 06-09-04, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Scattante R650 road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeprox,
Welcome to the Forum. I live in your neighboring city, Fremont, and I work in Santa Clara, just a few miles South of Sunnyvale. I do not commute with my bike, but rather, I get into the office at 6am and leave by 2:30 so I have time to ride in the afternoon. I may try biking it one of these days. Which way do you go? I am new to road cycling so I don't know many good route in our area. I ride Alameda Creek often but would like to try other routes. Any suggestions?
Boomer
Old 06-09-04, 01:22 PM
MTWThFMuter

Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara, brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Jeprox,
Welcome to the Forum. I live in your neighboring city, Fremont, and I work in Santa Clara, just a few miles South of Sunnyvale. I do not commute with my bike, but rather, I get into the office at 6am and leave by 2:30 so I have time to ride in the afternoon. I may try biking it one of these days. Which way do you go? I am new to road cycling so I don't know many good route in our area. I ride Alameda Creek often but would like to try other routes. Any suggestions?
Boomer
Boomer, thanks. Our common Southbound route might be Warm Springs Road, then right at Dixon Landing, cross over I-880 to McCarthy Bvd. Then, just after crossing the CA-237 overpass, there is a bike path to the right, next to the off ramp from CA-237. This will take you to Zanker Road, cross this road. You'll now be right there by Redback Networks bldg, Holger Way. Holger way curves to the left becoming Headquarters Drive. Cross 1st Street to Vista Montana. Right on Tasman. I bet you know your way from here. My commute takes 1.5 hours or less. Headwinds are nasty on the way back.

Another route in place of Warm Springs is Kato Road but too many cracks and patches on the asphalt. Northbound Kato is fine. No uphill pedaling, unlike Warm Springs Northbound. Uphill is fine, except when the winds are blowing 20MPH coming from the NNW.

Hope you enjoy commuting.
Old 06-09-04, 02:42 PM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boomer,
I live in Fremont and also work in Santa Clara - near the Marriott on Great America. I have been riding for about a year (not commuting) and have ridden the route Jeprox mentions many times - also spent a lot of time on the Alameda Creek trail. Traffic should be reasonable given your working hours.

There are lots of great routes in the area. My current favorite is Warm Springs to Calaveras east and follow around the reservoir then down Niles Canyon to Fremont (38 miles). I am working up to an alternate route from Sunol that goes north on Foothill to Dublin Canyon east to Palomares to Niles Canyon. That route is about 58 miles with 4200 feet of climbing. Normally I would not recommend to a newbie but your profile states that you are an experienced runner.
Old 06-09-04, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Scattante R650 road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sparky2,
Thanks for the routes into Calaveras and Niles. Although I've never ridden them, I have driven them in my convertible on warm sunny days. The hills going up Calaveras eastbound look really intimidating. I will definitely try them this summer after I build up some confidence.
Old 06-09-04, 05:09 PM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Sparky2,
Thanks for the routes into Calaveras and Niles. Although I've never ridden them, I have driven them in my convertible on warm sunny days. The hills going up Calaveras eastbound look really intimidating. I will definitely try them this summer after I build up some confidence.
You will be surprised how quickly you can make progress on long climbs if you practice on shorter ones. I have been doing a loop on Mission Blvd and Paseo Padre with loops through Ohlone two morning per week before work. It was a killer at first but can see noticeable improvement after 4 weeks.