Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Training for July tour..newbie

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have began my training for what i am hoping to be my first tour in mid july.... i am currently in Chicago and plan on riding south to around Alabama area. i have just found a high interest in touring and cycling in general... as for now i plan on keeping this up to date with my training and equipment updates.. i am on a super low budget so looking to find everything i can cheap and see how cheap i can actually do this tour for...
Old 05-28-09, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first week of training just getting over nasty flu and trying to take it easy

Monday--30 mile easy ride
Tuesday--9 miles in the rain it was enough for me dont want to get sick again
Wend--25 mile ride to local bike shop to research some bikes and equipment
Thursday--today 35 mile ride in a little under 3 hours nice easy fun ride

i would love some advice on what i should try to ride in a day to get ready for a tour thanks
Old 05-28-09, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
equipment now is just a heavy cheap old mountain bike..i am hoping it will be like a weighted bike to build my muscles i need i am in the process of searching for a bike to use..rode a trek 520 at the bike store the other day just around the block it felt so light and nice so i am hoping that when i get my touring bike it will be easy ridding
Old 05-28-09, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as you can, start riding the bike you will tour on carrying all the stuff you will tour with. Then try an overnighter to check out how well the gear works for you.

To get in shape, just ride as much as you can. When you start your tour, take it easy and go as far as you can comfortably do. If the schedule is not too constrained, then you'll get there when you get there. If your schedule is constrained, then you'll be able to compute how much you need to average a day, so try out a few days in a row riding that much to see if it works for you.

Bicycle tourers typically average anywhere from 30 to 100 miles a day, depending on their fitness level, the terrain, the amount of gear they are carrying, how often they like to stop and smell the roses, and how far they feel like going.
Old 05-28-09, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks allot i will keep all that in mind.. i need to save some money up for a bike.. i plan on stealth camping most of the trip and not on any type of schedule or anything i guess thats the perks of being a college student..
Old 05-30-09, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP, Trek 740 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good site for a newbie

If you're just getting into touring, here's a good site to visit. Lots of good stuff.

https://www.biketoledo.net
Old 05-30-09, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
You might want to use your recovery ride to get used to the heat. As odd as it sounds, might be a good idea to overdress and get good and hot. It will be plenty hot in the South in July. Not the direction I'd head in that time of year.
Old 05-30-09, 05:04 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the mileage you're already putting in, you're already in shape for touring. Of course, it never hurts to fine tune your conditioning, but don't over do it. Don't want to burn out before you start the tour. It's common for people to sort of train up as they go. Low mileage at first, gradually increasing the distance/time as you go.

You'll be pedaling in the hottest, most humid part of the summer and it'll only get worse as you move south. Hydration is the critical element. Get dehydrated and you'll zonk. Drink lots of fluids whether you're thirsty or not. Use your urine color as a guide. Pale yellow is just right.

Remember, you're touring, not racing. Calibrate your daily mileage to how you feel, not to reach a certain place. Leave time for visiting, eating, exploring, taking pictures, journaling your ride. I like to leave early each morning and get most of my mileage in by noon in the summer. Maybe do a couple of more hours late in the evening. Just hang out somewhere during the hottest part of the day.

Pack with the idea of not exceeding 35 pounds of gear or less. More than that and you've probably got too much stuff, especially for summer touring.

Check out www.crazyguyonabike.com, the premier touring site on the web.

Have fun!
Old 05-31-09, 05:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks eveyone ill will update what my weekend workouts later on tonite just checking see what everyone is up too thanks for all the advice
Old 05-31-09, 10:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traninng weekend
Friday 12 miles easy ride it was hot tho...
Sat.. Dominican... ..Tire workout insane i worked out till i puked
Sun..2 mile run