Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

First Day doing real dh

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

First Day doing real dh

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 07:26 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First Day doing real dh

Ok as some of you know I live out here and mostly do xc with some trails. I ahve never been up the mountain and stick to the freeride and xc trails in the valley. Well today I finally did some dh...

I started out on the green trails (mid range). This was reasonable as I figured the trails would be close to what I normally ride on trails. They were decent fast flowing but I didn't have many problems. Trail was average and only worked my hands...didn't scare the crap out of me. There was also a small manmade section that really wasn't too difficult compared to other stuff I have ridden. I probably would have stuck with those but I was riding with a guy head and shoulders over my skill level. So we couldn't stay there.

I was riding with Crashing_sux and we went back to the top. Rode part way down on the crappiest trail ever (I am never doing it again, Fantasic SUCKS)... At the end of the fanastic there is a play area with a drop park and a dirtjump area. Well as some of you know I hate drops to tranny (especially if they aren't part of the flow of a trail, drops for dropping bug me)...they really mess with my head. I don't know what it is but I just hate them (hated them) Crashing was very patient with me just trying to hit the small jump whihc is about 2 or 3 foot to a butter smooth tranny. I finally nailed it (after many run ups) I think I hit it 10 times, got the drop to about 3 or 4 feet and moved up one level. To a naturally higher drop. 2.5 feet to the to of the tranny. With speed it is about 5 ft (or more with tonnes) I finally got it up to about 5 feet and we moved back into the trails. Yes I know I am a ***** but I progressed more in one day than I have in 2 years) Thanks to Crashing for helping me get over whatever the hell was stopping me from dropping something soooooo small.

Past this he dragged me onto some black diamonds. Whistler DH. This is a collection of steep rock faces. I crash hard on the second rock face. Too far right and at the bottom needed to turn right immediately. I couldn't make the turn, popped over the berm into a bunch of rocks. Tore my shirt, broke the visor on my full face, hit my nose (what are the chances) scraped my mouth piece and took a small chunk out of the top of it...thank god for armour and full faces. After the rock faces are fast flowing quick switch backs with small drops and rolldowns. This area really worked my bike. I did survive. I love the technical stuff...but man am I slow

We went back up and went down schleyer (a technical flowy trail built by the man himself) This is where I felt most out of my element (guess I found an upper limit to work towards) Some steep sections including the steepest thing I have ever ridden. 90 degree rock face. I never thought a bike could make something like that...now I know. I walked the next section, which I realized at the bottom wasn't that bad, so next time I won't have a problem. The only other thing I walked was the famous schleyer drop. Fast flowy and can be rolled...(I didn't roll it, I just wasn't feeling it) We then went and did the whistler dh, which this time I cleaned the rock faces...but at this point my left hand had lost all strength causing me to loose grip and crash into a tree. Oh well...

anyways...sorry for the long post. Some people might want some ride details for a change. All I can say is thanx again crashing for putting up with my cowardice...I also can't believe how much work lift assisted dh is haha...oh and those xc trails have some technical stuff...but there isn't anything I can't ride now...I know that for sure.
Old 06-09-04, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMAZING write up bro! I could totally get into the ride just reading that.

Just so you know I expect you to show me around the mountain in about two weeks now that I'll be living sooo close!

That truely sounds like an amazing ride.. can't wait to see it in full effect myself!
Old 06-09-04, 07:39 PM
Pedalphile

Bikes: better ones than yours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow roasted. excellent.
Old 06-09-04, 07:40 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slcpunk21
AMAZING write up bro! I could totally get into the ride just reading that.

Just so you know I expect you to show me around the mountain in about two weeks now that I'll be living sooo close!

That truely sounds like an amazing ride.. can't wait to see it in full effect myself!
Thats not gonna be a problem...in 2 weeks I should be able to ride most of it...not everything but I should be able to show you most trails up there.
Old 06-09-04, 07:50 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the helmet...the visor is now just garbage...
Old 06-09-04, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oooh - great recap - but time for a new lid methinks! Yikes!
Old 06-09-04, 11:57 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its definately in the works. Luckily most of the damage was to a carbon fibre visor. Good thing I have a plastic one to replace it
Old 06-10-04, 03:15 AM
Part of the furniture

Bikes: Specialized RH, Scott Unitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
COngrats Maelstrom, awesome ride report. I hope you are fine with the crash. Gee i felt like i was riding with you while reading it.
Old 06-10-04, 03:15 AM
Monkey

Bikes: Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to fix it, just leave the broken stubs on your helmet, it really gives it a nice CORE look
Old 06-10-04, 10:34 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crashing_sux
No need to fix it, just leave the broken stubs on your helmet, it really gives it a nice CORE look
Imagine the underbrush I would pick up riding along haha...

And Math, the crash was more than fine. As some old school wrestlers used to say "What a RUSH"...got a badly bruised right shoulder and a little stiff but I will ride another day...

Last edited by Maelstrom; 06-10-04 at 10:52 AM. Reason: cause I mixed up god and got
Old 06-10-04, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I feel like RM changed looks again. Good to see you all here.

P.s. Its RideND
Old 06-10-04, 10:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MandansFinest

P.s. Its RideND
I know.. crazy huh.. threads about riding? who woulda thunk.

He mael I think you need to rest for about 2 weeks and then start riding again.
(can't have you that much faster than me when I hit the PNW)
Old 06-10-04, 10:54 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MandansFinest

P.s. Its RideND
We gotta chill somewhere. IF we can start getting more ride reports and fun stuff going on we could liven things up a bit.

And slcpunk. I don't think you are giving yourself much credit. You will be much faster than me, that I am sure.
Old 06-10-04, 11:47 AM
pnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice story.

how can you ride down a 90 degree thing? that's a wall isn't it? or a drop? or did I mis read that thing?

p.s.jury duty sucks.
Old 06-10-04, 12:05 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't think it was possible..thinking back is might have been 85 degrees. But it was as vertical as I think a wall would be ...

There was a small outcrop of rock at the bottom like the bottom step type of thing. It booted your front wheel out just enough to ride it out. If it wasn't for crashing explaining the right line I would have headed for what I 'thought' was the right spot and probaby would have crashed. Attached is a pic of what it pretty close to how it was. Really I guess I could have dropped it (8ft to what was more or less flat) but I am still not used to dropping that big. I know Crashing would have normally just flown off of it.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 06-10-04 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Adding some colour to the mix
Old 06-10-04, 12:17 PM
pnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see.

good job on learning how to drop, or getting the curage(sp?) to do it. if you can drop 3 feet you can pretty much drop anything, if your balls are large enough. it's pretty much the same technique, especially if your bike flexes due to a large spring in the frame.
Old 06-10-04, 12:19 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It definately flexes . And yeah once I hit the first jump the second jump was like butta...I can see in the next couple the third drop will seem reasonable. It was definately a moment. But really I know enough guys riding ht's on the mountain you don't need much flex here as there are tonnes of tranny's
Old 06-10-04, 09:55 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Ok as some of you know I live out here and mostly do xc with some trails. I ahve never been up the mountain and stick to the freeride and xc trails in the valley. Well today I finally did some dh...

I started out on the green trails (mid range). This was reasonable as I figured the trails would be close to what I normally ride on trails. They were decent fast flowing but I didn't have many problems. Trail was average and only worked my hands...didn't scare the crap out of me. There was also a small manmade section that really wasn't too difficult compared to other stuff I have ridden. I probably would have stuck with those but I was riding with a guy head and shoulders over my skill level. So we couldn't stay there.

I was riding with Crashing_sux and we went back to the top. Rode part way down on the crappiest trail ever (I am never doing it again, Fantasic SUCKS)... At the end of the fanastic there is a play area with a drop park and a dirtjump area. Well as some of you know I hate drops to tranny (especially if they aren't part of the flow of a trail, drops for dropping bug me)...they really mess with my head. I don't know what it is but I just hate them (hated them) Crashing was very patient with me just trying to hit the small jump whihc is about 2 or 3 foot to a butter smooth tranny. I finally nailed it (after many run ups) I think I hit it 10 times, got the drop to about 3 or 4 feet and moved up one level. To a naturally higher drop. 2.5 feet to the to of the tranny. With speed it is about 5 ft (or more with tonnes) I finally got it up to about 5 feet and we moved back into the trails. Yes I know I am a ***** but I progressed more in one day than I have in 2 years) Thanks to Crashing for helping me get over whatever the hell was stopping me from dropping something soooooo small.

Past this he dragged me onto some black diamonds. Whistler DH. This is a collection of steep rock faces. I crash hard on the second rock face. Too far right and at the bottom needed to turn right immediately. I couldn't make the turn, popped over the berm into a bunch of rocks. Tore my shirt, broke the visor on my full face, hit my nose (what are the chances) scraped my mouth piece and took a small chunk out of the top of it...thank god for armour and full faces. After the rock faces are fast flowing quick switch backs with small drops and rolldowns. This area really worked my bike. I did survive. I love the technical stuff...but man am I slow

We went back up and went down schleyer (a technical flowy trail built by the man himself) This is where I felt most out of my element (guess I found an upper limit to work towards) Some steep sections including the steepest thing I have ever ridden. 90 degree rock face. I never thought a bike could make something like that...now I know. I walked the next section, which I realized at the bottom wasn't that bad, so next time I won't have a problem. The only other thing I walked was the famous schleyer drop. Fast flowy and can be rolled...(I didn't roll it, I just wasn't feeling it) We then went and did the whistler dh, which this time I cleaned the rock faces...but at this point my left hand had lost all strength causing me to loose grip and crash into a tree. Oh well...

anyways...sorry for the long post. Some people might want some ride details for a change. All I can say is thanx again crashing for putting up with my cowardice...I also can't believe how much work lift assisted dh is haha...oh and those xc trails have some technical stuff...but there isn't anything I can't ride now...I know that for sure.

Thats sweet stuff. We are going to ride together some day.....I swear!!!!!!
Old 06-11-04, 01:12 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KleinMp99
Thats sweet stuff. We are going to ride together some day.....I swear!!!!!!
No worries. I am gonna get a chance to ride with everyone at some point. BEsides with the way you are headed you HAVE to hit whistler and the shore.
Old 06-11-04, 12:01 PM
Monkey

Bikes: Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pnj
nice story.

how can you ride down a 90 degree thing? that's a wall isn't it? or a drop? or did I mis read that thing?

p.s.jury duty sucks.
It's actually only about 70 degrees (yeah, about like your fork), the first drop/roll on Schleyer. I went through the same thing last year, the first time you see sections like that, especially from the top they play with your eyes and look steeper than they are. It's about 3' long, so it ends up being a 4' drop if you drop it.

You'll be surpised Mael, once you go back a few times you'll actually be surprised that it looked so steep to you. I just went through the same thing when I rode the rock face on Upper Joyride this year for the first time. Last year I always thought it was super steep, near 80 degrees. Now that I hit it this year it looks like a whole different rock face, yet I know it's the same one. 50-60 degrees tops.
Old 06-11-04, 12:14 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weird though. I could have sworn it was taller than me (I wasn't sure on the angle as I know that can be deceiving) but I was sure it was taller than me. Oh well guess I will know for sure Saturday. 4 feet...sheesh its amazing how much the eys can mess with the head haha.

Still the one thing I do know, it was still the steepest thing I have ridden
Old 06-11-04, 12:15 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pnj
p.s.jury duty sucks.
Hopefully it isn't a long case. Jury duty is so freaking boring.
Old 06-11-04, 12:26 PM
pnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't forget, when your standing on top of drop or steep area, it always seems higher because your eyeballs are farther away from the actual top of the drop.

that is why things look smaller when your standing at the bottom looking up at them.

jury duty is over. i didn't get picked to serve on a case but still had to be there for three days.
Old 06-11-04, 12:34 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pnj
don't forget, when your standing on top of drop or steep area, it always seems higher because your eyeballs are farther away from the actual top of the drop.

that is why things look smaller when your standing at the bottom looking up at them.

jury duty is over. i didn't get picked to serve on a case but still had to be there for three days.
True enough. Thats probaby the best way I have seen that put. In either case it was still fun to hit.

Good thing for the jury duty. I got stuck doing a case once. How terribly boring.
Old 06-29-04, 03:32 PM

Bikes: 03' BigHit Comp/DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Welcome to the darkside Now all ya need is:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.