Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are there no fiberglass bicycles?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-30-09, 07:19 PM
Junkmaster

Bikes: Lemond '05 Alpe d'Huez, Rebuilt in 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always wondered why fiberglass bicycle frames were not made. I'm cautious with saying "never," as there might be the occasional rare one out there. Yet I am close to using the word "never" with regards to seeing a fiberglass bicycle because I have never seen one marketed or in real life.

Fiberglass is a lot cheaper to make than carbon fiber, and it has good strength to weight ratio. Furthermore, it is more shock-resistant than carbon fiber because of its lack of stiffness, which I think may also act as a drawback. Is adequate stiffness really that important?
Old 05-30-09, 07:42 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by facial
I've always wondered why fiberglass bicycle frames were not made. I'm cautious with saying "never," as there might be the occasional rare one out there. Yet I am close to using the word "never" with regards to seeing a fiberglass bicycle because I have never seen one marketed or in real life.

Fiberglass is a lot cheaper to make than carbon fiber, and it has good strength to weight ratio. Furthermore, it is more shock-resistant than carbon fiber because of its lack of stiffness, which I think may also act as a drawback. Is adequate stiffness really that important?
Good but not good enough. Strength to weight and stiffness to weight is far superior for carbon fiber. I'm not sure if fiberglass would be that much cheaper to make. The raw materials would be cheaper, but I think the manufacturing costs would be fairly similar.

Stiffness is important because the bike would tend to act like a big spring. You want your energy to go into moving the bike and not to be absorbed in the frame. Stiffness also makes the handling more predictable.
Old 05-30-09, 07:54 PM

Bikes: LOOK KG361 / Ultegra SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to work for Ski Nautique, building boats.. And hence worked with fiberglass a bit... My guess... Falls in line with what you assume, as well one other thing... First, fiberglass cloth, pound for pound, does not have the strength near that of carbon fiber... And two, the cost difference between high weight, quality fiberglass, and a stronger/stiffer carbon fiber counterpart of the same weight/quality, is very little...

So, from a manufacturing standpoint, they spend 10% more to use CF, and get 30% more strength... (Note: my numbers are completely arbitrary guesses, but probably close)
Old 05-30-09, 07:58 PM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aren't most good surf boards now epoxy and not fiberglass? Isn't this because fiberglass is more fragile?

I might not know my stuff about that, I only surf occasionally when i get somewhere w/ some good waves.
Old 05-30-09, 08:50 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itera_plastic_bicycle

I'm not sure if this was fiberglass, but of interest none-the-less.
Old 05-30-09, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The reason there's no fiberglass bicycle frames now is because most of the expense of building a composite frame is the labor, which is the same no matter what fiber you use.

For a fairly-small increase in price (-and the same amount of labor-) you can use carbon instead of glass fiber and get a much-better product in the end.
~
Old 05-31-09, 11:37 AM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nahh
aren't most good surf boards now epoxy and not fiberglass? Isn't this because fiberglass is more fragile?

I might not know my stuff about that, I only surf occasionally when i get somewhere w/ some good waves.
Current surfboards use Epoxy or Polyester resin over a foam core I believe. Cheaper & a bit lighter than a foam core + fiberglass and resin outer shell but not as strong IMO as the older construction method.

Remember that fiberglass and CF are very similar technologies. Both use a resin impregnated into the cloth material to turn it into something other than a limp cloth. CF is a lot lighter and requires less material for a given rigidity and strength so for equal strength and rigidity characteristics a fiberglass frame would be a lot heavier from what I have read.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 05-31-09, 03:25 PM
Junkmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stiffness to weight can be around the ballpark of magnesium alloys, but with much greater strength.

So if magnesium frames exist (in minority), why don't fiberglass frames exist?

There is a large disparity between the prices of the two types of fibers. Epoxy is cheap, so that's discounted in the price difference. In the manufacture of carbon, you have to spend a lot of energy in the carbonization/graphitization processes, whereas in glass you have just a one-step melt spinning at roughly carbonization temperatures. The graphitization temperature is much higher, but those are never needed for glass.
Old 05-31-09, 03:33 PM
Junkmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is some good discussion here.

Originally Posted by Omni.Potent
This might be the first one I have ever read of. Not bad.

Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Good but not good enough. Strength to weight and stiffness to weight is far superior for carbon fiber.
If you use E-glass, it (the glass) is somewhat inferior. If you use S-glass, it is slightly inferior, but that also hinges on the cost of the S-glass, I suppose. Now quartz fiber would be more interesting, with strengths in excess of 10 GPa.

Originally Posted by StephenH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itera_plastic_bicycle

I'm not sure if this was fiberglass, but of interest none-the-less.
Ah yes, I forgot to bring this up. If people tried plastic bicycles, which have relatively low stiffness-to-weight ratios, then of course fiberglass should've been tried from this era as well. I imagine sometime around the 1980's, but I haven't seen anything other than the 1960's example above.
Old 05-31-09, 11:17 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
From far-left field comes part of an answer: several velomobiles are built from fiberglass with bonded-in subframes to locate the drivetrain. A velomobile is a fully-enclosed human-powered machine, designed for aerodynamic efficiency and weather protection. In some designs the shell is a monocoque, with mounting points for the front wheels. One such design is the Quest:

https://www.bluevelo.com/quest_velomobile.html

I led a ride here in Portland for the Left Coast Velomobile Gathering last weekend. Tremendous fun:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wmbates...7618744819975/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-01-09, 07:42 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Old 06-01-09, 08:36 AM

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you ever picked up a fiberglas ladder and then an aluminum ladder? Fiberglas would be better for shells and such but as a structural agent, way too heavy.
Old 06-01-09, 08:49 AM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
Have you ever picked up a fiberglas ladder and then an aluminum ladder? Fiberglas would be better for shells and such but as a structural agent, way too heavy.
this.

fiberglas for strength means extremely heavy. your bike would weigh like a concrete huffy
Old 06-01-09, 02:39 PM
Junkmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
I have - keep in mind that this type of fiberglass contains calcium carbonate and pultruded w/ volume fraction of fiber at around 50%. Shells seem to be the preferred application of fiberglass.

60-70% volume fraction is seen in experimental aerospace applications, alongside carbon. I know this because my university department does this stuff all the time.
Old 06-01-09, 02:42 PM
Junkmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
this.

fiberglas for strength means extremely heavy. your bike would weigh like a concrete huffy
It would be more accurate to say stiffness. The strength of fiberglass is adequate, just there's too much flex so inevitably the wall thicknesses are larger.

I would also add that the stiffness of a frame should be pretty small compared to the rubber stiffness on a tire, even when the latter is inflated to high psi. The flex in the frame can damp out unwanted rigid motions.
Old 06-03-09, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Too heavy,after getting the strenght needed.
Old 06-04-09, 06:37 AM
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Check out the Bowden Spacelander.
I believe it was a fiberglass or composite.

I own an Itera - plastic bicycle. All bearings and bearing surfaces are metal.
Plastic with an engineered structure.
Old 06-04-09, 08:28 PM
Junkmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I would totally get one of these. edit: too bad they're only made in Canada.

Last edited by facial; 06-04-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 05:35 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
And NL among other places (I so want one of these!) I think we may be seeing more of them in the future. Here is a link to a blog from NL showing them in action.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-05-09, 10:11 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
It's still a very limited market, but if you're really interested in looking one over Dana Leiberman at Bent Up Cycles in Van Nuys has a couple.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-06-13, 10:33 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Here's an interesting How-To article;
https://www.nordicskiracer.com/news.asp?NewsID=2940

You know, I didn't see this thread when it first appeared, in 2009. Now, looking back, I realize that June '09 was when I got my new DVD Burner, and software to convert DVD's to MP4's, and I was very busy, uploading over 700 videos to YouTube. I want to thank bbattle for posting the photo of the NFA Vehicles Type 9 , otherwise known as the Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle by Mellisa Manning.

I'm thinking of a Do-Over, wherein I build another bike like this , but 50% Fiberglass, and 10% Carbon Fiber. That only adds up to 60%, you think? Wrong, that is the Weight Savings of 40%. The Fiberglass will remain where there is compression, and the Carbon will take up the slack where there is tension.

Anyway, this bike is a mule, part velomobile and part cargo/utility bike. There is no other, that I know of.

Another link , to an article about plastic bikes:

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-...practical.html
Old 04-06-13, 10:35 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Never say Never...
Old 04-06-13, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Never say Never...
On this, you can pretty much say never. Fiberglass has been around for ages, but it's application has been relatively limited. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel to make another bike frame material when carbon and aluminum provide all that the vast majority of people need, for the most part. Aluminum is making a resurgence as it's getting easier to work with and shape, much like carbon fiber. The most recent Bicycling magazine has a good article on this issue.
Old 04-06-13, 11:14 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the Green Lantern was looking for a bike...

Originally Posted by bbattle
Old 04-06-13, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Here's an interesting How-To article;
https://www.nordicskiracer.com/news.asp?NewsID=2940

You know, I didn't see this thread when it first appeared, in 2009. Now, looking back, I realize that June '09 was when I got my new DVD Burner, and software to convert DVD's to MP4's, and I was very busy, uploading over 700 videos to YouTube. I want to thank bbattle for posting the photo of the NFA Vehicles Type 9 , otherwise known as the Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle by Mellisa Manning.

I'm thinking of a Do-Over, wherein I build another bike like this , but 50% Fiberglass, and 10% Carbon Fiber. That only adds up to 60%, you think? Wrong, that is the Weight Savings of 40%. The Fiberglass will remain where there is compression, and the Carbon will take up the slack where there is tension.

Anyway, this bike is a mule, part velomobile and part cargo/utility bike. There is no other, that I know of.

Another link , to an article about plastic bikes:

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-...practical.html
How does that handle at around 20-24 mph? I experimented with a fiberglass front this year more highly concave and pointed at the front, but for me it was highly sensitive to wind shifts so I reverted back to my older more rounded front (corrugated HDPE). I was wondering if your design had similar characteristics.

(ps, I have a new appreciation for your craft skills since it took me months to make one piece that still wasn't right. It's harderer than it looks)

Last edited by wphamilton; 04-06-13 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.