Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Rear Rack

Old 05-31-09, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Rack

Hi everyone im about to install this rear rack, I dont have the instrucions I bought it second hand here are the pics, looks like its going to mount over my rear brake assembly? not sure kinda dont wanna touch the rear brakes at this point either looking at the pics can anyone help???
Attached Images
Old 05-31-09, 11:13 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Can't tell from the pix. Can you take a pic of the mounting section you're asking about, not from the side, so we can see the bolt hole (or whatever it's got) up there.
Old 05-31-09, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those are the only pics I have gonna buy it from some guy off of craigslist, any experience with the type of rack that attaches over the rear brake??
Old 05-31-09, 11:20 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
That is a Pletscher rack and they are usually quite simple to install... it clamps to the seat stay and should clear the brake assembly if it is the right size.

Make sure you wrap the rear seat stays with a little old inner tube of black tape to prevent scratches and that the rack is the right size for your frame.
Old 05-31-09, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks im just gonna have it shipped, I didnt check the size, and I have another stupid question where is the seat stay on the bike???
Old 05-31-09, 11:32 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The seat stays are the tubes that descend from the seat post to the rear drop out.

Old 05-31-09, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Sixty Fiver your awesome, but in the pix the guy sent me I didnt see any clamps if you look at the pics above, im thinking about putting my backpack on this rack w bungee cords to secure maybe this isnt the right rack?? wont these things tear the bike paint up?