Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pin wrench

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 07:32 PM

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pin wrench

Has anybody gotten creative and found some sort of household item or a common tool configuration that would work to unscrew the dust cap from a self-extracting crank bolt (shimano ultegra)?

A neat way to line up the splines on the crank arm with the bottom bracket without being able to see it would be cool, too... I tried to feel for it, but really don't trust my senses.

Regardless I'll end up buying the pin wrench tomorrow, but it would be nice not to cancel my morning ride!

Thanks!
Old 05-31-09, 07:48 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The red handled Park "hairpin" pin spanner (SPA-2) fits the Ultegra dust cap and is fairly cheap.

A #2 machine screw is small enough to fit the holes and you could make a tool using a couple of them and some means of holding them the correct distance apart.

I once made a pin spanner for the adjustable cup on a cup-and-cone bottom bracket using two #4 machine screws threaded into two 4" long pieces of 1/4" steel square stock and hinged the opposite ends together. Something similar could be made as the dust cap tool.
Old 06-01-09, 12:07 AM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
If the crank bolts aren't pressing out on them I usually find that a ball point pen (or a nail) is enough to spin out the Ultegra self extracting dust caps, they don't need to be in there super tight. Also, if you loosen the dust caps several turns before installation, then you will be able to feel the splines line up as you thread in the bolt. I highly advise this as I have seen several people almost destroy their cranks by putting them on out of alignment.