Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

does anyone know a good bike route from Halifax to rimouski?

Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Old 05-31-09, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am debating on whether going from halifax to rimouski or from halifax to edmunston... any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-04-09, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route Verte et Sentier transcanada

Have you done this ride yet? I am also looking for info on a similar ride. I will be riding the Route Verte from Lake Massawippi, Quebec, up to Riviere du Loup ( on southeast shore of St Lawrence or better on northeast shore?) From there I head straight to Frederickton, NB on the Petit Temis and then Moncton and across the bridge to PEI. I may bail at Grand Falls and take 108 through Plaster Rock as a short cut but it looks desolate and of unknown cycling quality.

I have done only the Des Grandes-Fourches section near Sherbrooke. After riding this bike trail I agreed with the assessment that The Route Verte is one of the ten most beautiful places on Earth to ride a bike. Unfortunately it is hard to find info and a good map. I have both the Velo Quebec and Canadian Geographic maps but both are at a scale of 1:earth.

New Brunswick is the most daunting as I have the least info on that area and I do not want to be one of those people riding on the Trans Canada 2 with cars zipping by at 140 kph.
Old 08-12-09, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route Verte et Sentier transcanada

The way to go is to get the ferry to St John NB and get on the the Trans Canada TRAIL all the way to Rimouski. You could take a short cut on 232 out of Cabano but I cannot speak for its ride-ability. I just completed the ride from Vermont to Woodstock NB on (mostly) the Trans Canada Trail. This trail is a national treasure - all of it was beautiful - much of it was amazing and the car -free biking cannot be beat. The best sections were along the St John River in New Brunswick, The Petit Temis section from Riviere-du-Loup PQ to Edmundston NB and then the trail from North Hatley to Sherbrook. I am looking forward to finding more routes in New Brunswick - especially a short cut to PEI. It looks like there is likely an ATV trail much of the way from Fredericton to Moncton.
Old 08-12-09, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ever find a good map of route vert Please post where you found it. I often ride different sections mainly around the eastern townships and am frustrated with the maps I have found.

I agree with the opinion of peidavy the ride from north hatley to sherbrooke is great as are most of the rides in the area.

Last edited by redg35; 08-12-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 09:48 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The best cycling maps are regional maps, but it's better to combine them with a plain road map from Mapart. The Vélo-Quebec guides are quite poor IMO.

For the Eastern Townships: https://www.easterntownships.org/atrce/en/modules/guide/

Most regions have their own. You can find them in any tourist info.
Old 08-12-09, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, Miele Clasic, Nishiki bushwacker, Old tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks I have that one but find its not that great.