Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kuota K Factor Post

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kuota K Factor Post

Old 06-01-09, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kuota K Factor Post

I have a new K Factor and cannot get the post to move up or down. The screw behind the saddle has been removed but it wont budge. Any suggestions? It seems like it is jammed or something.
Old 06-01-09, 09:18 AM

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's Stuck? Whaddya mean it's stuck?

For some chemical reason, carbon fiber likes aluminum. Aluminum seatposts can run the risk of seizing to a carbon frame, and vice versa. When left in contact for a long period of time, carbon and aluminum will bond together making seatpost adjustment difficult if not impossible.
One easy way to prevent this is to ride a seatpost that is the same material as your frame. If you are particularly loyal to your Thomson seatpost and carbon frame, just check up on it every couple months. Applying a smear of grease to the clamped section of seatpost should prevent seizure without compromising the stability of the post.
Carbon bonding with aluminum isn't necessarily common, but it happens. If you're carbon bike has been sitting for a couple of years and you can't adjust your seatpost, hope is not lost. You're probably going to have to pull that bottom bracket out and see if you have a hollow seat-tube (Bianchi is a popular brand which often doesn't). If so, make sure the top end of you seatpost is fully sealed (if not, plug up the hole), get a can of Coke and pour it down the seat-tube and let it sit overnight. Seriously. I don't know much about chemistry, but there is something in carbonated sodas that loosens up seized parts. Just be careful once you get the seatpost to budge that you don't get coke all over the place, and flush it out thoroughly with some sudsy water so you aren't wondering where all those ants are coming from next summer.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/a170...st/article.htm

Also, see this:
https://velonews.com/article/11799
Old 06-01-09, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is literally brand new though! Just put together last week. Is there any hope that I can get it to move again?
Old 06-02-09, 04:08 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
It's carbon in carbon too I bet. Is it an aero shaped post as well. so you can't twist it? Try gently tapping with a mallet, not so hard that you'd break something.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer and a saw, it can't be fixed."
Old 06-02-09, 05:13 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a Mast Post correct? Did you install the metal insert before installing the post? This insert goes between the set screw and the post to put pressure on more of the post. Torque for the set screw is like 9 nM. It is also good to use a Carbon Prep Grease on these seat posts too. I use FSA's Carbon Prep.