Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question About Bibs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dumb Question About Bibs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dumb Question About Bibs

I'll ask it here because we 50+ people are kinder than some others.

I've never worn bibs, only shorts. I see bibs advertised in Nashbar, Performance, etc. and they always picture little white undershirts under the bibs. Do those come with the bibs when you buy them? If not, where do you get them? I don't remember ever seeing little white undershirts advertised in the catalogs.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-01-09, 01:43 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
No, that's a base layer you wear under your jersey. I always wear a base layer even in the hottest weather, just crack open the zipper and let the air flow. I only wear bibs, no stress around the gut. Get a full zipper jersey though makes life easier for the emergency pit stop!
Old 06-01-09, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Oh, the base layer goes under the bib straps. NEVER EVER wear the straps on the outside of your jersey! That's a Fred moment I've seen!
Old 06-01-09, 01:54 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I see bibs advertised in Nashbar, Performance, etc. and they always picture little white undershirts under the bibs. Do those come with the bibs when you buy them?
Do you mean this? It's not an undershirt, it's the straps that hold the bibs up. There's no elastic around the waist.

Same thing here, only the straps are the same color as the bibs.

Once you try bibs you'll NEVER go back to shorts.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-01-09, 01:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by tony2v
Oh, the base layer goes under the bib straps. NEVER EVER wear the straps on the outside of your jersey! That's a Fred moment I've seen!
I was putting on my HR strap in the infield at Hellyer and then put on my jersey. As I was going to saddle up and roll onto the track, my wife says, "Ahem, you may want to put your straps over your shoulders". They were hanging down along my thighs. However, I can say I have NEVER put the straps over my jersey.

I only wear a base layer when it is cold / cooler.
Old 06-01-09, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Once you try bibs you'll NEVER go back to shorts.
YMMV. I really don't care for bibs. Again, YMMV.
Old 06-01-09, 02:38 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
^^

I have one pair of bibs and generally like them. I do need a base layer underneath, though, or the straps kind of dig into my shoulders. Also not so convenient when making a pit stop.

As snaproll says, YMMV.
Old 06-01-09, 02:39 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Suspenders.
Old 06-01-09, 02:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I was putting on my HR strap in the infield at Hellyer and then put on my jersey. As I was going to saddle up and roll onto the track, my wife says, "Ahem, you may want to put your straps over your shoulders". They were hanging down along my thighs. However, I can say I have NEVER put the straps over my jersey.

I have two base layers- The winter wicking one and a summer Aertex version that keeps a sweaty- clingy jersey that will eventually wick away moisture- away from my skin. The summer version has never kept me overwarm- but I do find that without it I do feel the cool summer morning air just a bit too cool on the downhills.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-09, 03:03 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I wear a base layer when its below 75F ... armwarmers below 68F
That said there have been only 2 days (2 days during our recent Jesusita wildfire) when I haven't worn a base layer since last Oct. Prolly only been 6 rides when I haven't worn armwarmers since then.
Right now - 2 pm , 63F at SB airport, 57F here in Goleta and heavy Marine layer; been that way since forever... sun comes out about 4:30p and the wind blows at a steady 15...
although it don;t look like we're getting any sun today
Old 06-01-09, 03:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
BigBlueToe, please take a moment to leave us some feed-back.

Was your question answered promptly and cheerfully?

Did you find the responses helpful?

Do you promise never to wear bibstraps over your jersey?
Old 06-01-09, 06:24 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bought my fist bibs a few weeks back - bib knickers. This is a great cool weather pant - keeps the lower back warm. I'll stick with my shorts in the hot weather. My get some bib tights for the extra cold weather though = although my current tights do pretty well and I have stretched them out enough so they will accomidate a fleece layer underneath when it's sub-freezing.
Old 06-01-09, 07:01 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
This is going too well, time for CONTROVERSY.
I wear my bibs, then my base layer. I hate the slippery base layer letting the straps slide, and besides, I wear the bibs with no base in the summer, so it isn't like I need a base to lessen the strap pressure.

I mentioned this in Road and was told to: Buff up, HTFU, get a life, kill myself, never post again, sell my bike (which was likely crap anyway) and that my favorite band sucked.

So, my question bibs or base first? (now that we've solved the "do they come with a base layer?" question.

And, just as a public service announcement:
Never NEVER wear your bibs over your jersey, no matter what they show in a catalog. It's just, well, wrong.
Old 06-01-09, 07:09 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
So, my question bibs or base first? (now that we've solved the "do they come with a base layer?" question.
Bibs first, then base (I don't consider the poly "tank top" suspenders to be a true base layer).
Old 06-01-09, 07:11 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Base, then bib/bib straps over base. If you wore it the other way around, you might be inviting a draft coming up/down your front side.

And, just as a public service announcement:
Never NEVER wear your bibs over your jersey, no matter what they show in a catalog. It's just, well, wrong.
Well now I'm intrigued...maybe I'll go home and just wear my bibs with the straps over the jersey just to see how Fred I look.
Old 06-01-09, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since buying my first bib shorts two plus years ago I have not even attempted to get into regular bike shorts again. Bibs eliminate so many problems and are so comfortable all day.

Now for that base layer. I only wear the base layer in temperatures under 60 degrees as a high.
Old 06-01-09, 08:13 PM
aL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense...I'm 56...ride a bike almost every day, and I wouldn't want to be caught dead in those (you guys crack me up)
Old 06-01-09, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my first bibs about a month ago. Buddy swears by them, but he is a bit round. I thought what the heck and got a cheap pair from perfromance. I havent worn my shorts since, and commute in the bibs everyday.

Comfy, heaven help me if I have to use the head in a hurry, I may not like them so much then. lol
Old 06-01-09, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't you guys get Nashbar or Performance catalogs? Here are some of the typical bib pictures:

But hey, I just found a section called "Base Layers" on Performance's redesigned website. Now I know where to buy those little undershirt thingies if I ever decide to wear bibs.

Like these - only fifty bucks! What a bargain!

My shorts never slip down and I'm already suitably dorky. Do I really need bibs? (This thread wasn't started because I was contemplating same; I was just curious.)
Old 06-01-09, 09:30 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe

Do I really need bibs?
You do not need them. People happily and successfully complete bicycle tours of many months without bibs. In earlier eras the tour de france was won without bibs.
Old 06-01-09, 09:32 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I only wear a base layer during the winter. When I do wear a base layer with bibs, the base layer goes under the straps. The jersey always goes over the straps. Always.

I find it interesting how many people say they will never wear shorts again after wearing bibs. I have a few pairs of each and wear them all. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I almost always choose the bibs for anything over 50 miles where their main advantage really comes into play. My shorts will sometimes start to slip down, causing friction in my crotch while pedaling. This only happens to me on long rides. Bibs prevent this from happening at all. Shorts are a little cooler on very hot days. Shorts are much more convenient if I need to sit on the porcelain during a ride.
Old 06-01-09, 09:33 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
You do not need them. People happily and successfully complete bicycle tours of many months without bibs. In earlier eras the tour de france was won without bibs.
Unless you are time traveling to race the Tour (and win), you, my bikeforums friend, do indeed need bibs.
Old 06-02-09, 06:00 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Unless you are time traveling to race the Tour (and win), you, my bikeforums friend, do indeed need bibs.
Thanks for setting me straightening me out on another thing I've happily been doing wrong my entire life. Actually, I have a couple of pair. They're ok.
Old 06-02-09, 06:09 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Hermes;9021829]I was putting on my HR strap in the infield at Hellyer and then put on my jersey. As I was going to saddle up and roll onto the track, my wife says, "Ahem, you may want to put your straps over your shoulders". They were hanging down along my thighs.

gads I hate that.
Old 06-02-09, 06:13 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well now I'm intrigued...maybe I'll go home and just wear my bibs with the straps over the jersey just to see how Fred I look. [/QUOTE]

omg a new fashion statement! almost as good as one glove ala Michael Jackson?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.