Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

LI Harbors Ride-Brentwood, NY

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 10:31 PM

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts

https://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/lihr/index.html

First time riding this one, but my 4th organized/charity event since I started road cycling last summer. Signed up for the 75 mile route; also, any feedback from those who have ridden in this event would be great.
Old 06-04-09, 06:45 PM
ROAD enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't really see many Harbors, but it's a very good ride. I'll try to post a link from motionbased for the 100 when I find one.

Last edited by revolator; 06-04-09 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 07:05 PM
ROAD enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comments from last year: https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-435330.html

mb from Junker: https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6117334

You also can try bf-er DSchlichting, Is either the organizer and or big part of planning out the route.
Old 06-04-09, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revolator
You also can try bf-er DSchlichting, Is either the organizer and or big part of planning out the route.
. . . a big part of the planning . . . but on a volunteer basis for Bike New York
A few comments from my side:
.Registration now around 1,100. Last year, this was cut off at 1,500. Based upon last year, we felt that the infrastructure (roads, rest area capacity) would support more, so we will go to 2,000 this year.
.There are a number of tweaks (and I do mean tweaks) to ease traffic flow or minimize bike/car interface in Huntington, Centerport and Seataucket/Port Jeff area.
.None of us liked the short route (26 miles), so I have created a new front end for the short (now 27 miles route) that will include a run (maybe 3/4 mile?) along the water. Of course, you all know that on the North Shore of Long Island, there is a price for nice runs along the water . . .
.This revision will mean that a new rest area is used in Smithtown, and this will also allow a rest area to be added for the return legs of the 27 and 50 mile routes between the Kings Park rest area and the end of the ride.
.The Kings Park rest area is moved "across the street" onto the property of Nissequogue Stare Park. This will have a nice water view which you will all agree is a tad more scenic that what you had last year.
.Cycles Plus of Huntington will provide repair services in the Huntington/Halesite rest area.
.We could still use some marshals in the format of 5BBT marshals wherein you work in pairs at a turn intersection or whatever and then ride. Anyone interested in this, PM me.
.We can also use volunteers who will drive their car as a SAG vehicle.
.As to OP's original query . . .I've amassed a lot of mileage over the winter scounting some of the aforementioned tweaks. TRIPLES are good.

Last edited by DSchlichting; 06-04-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSchlichting
TRIPLES are good.

Come on, it can't be that bad. It is long island after all. (He says after being shocked by the Mansions Ride.)

DSchlichting: I'm signed up. Talk to me about what you need for volunteers. No promises, since I'm riding with someone who is coming in from a VERY long distance to do this.
Old 06-26-09, 01:45 PM
Come on you reds!

Bikes: Bikeless in NY, due to a few thugs. But I do own a Kestrel in Florida

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the post, I just registered. Happy birthday to me!
Old 06-30-09, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So... who did the 105? Snake Hill Road was one thing. The road out of Port Jefferson was quite another, I almost turned for 80 miles after that one. The extra 25 mile loop was one of the nicest parts of the ride, despite the lack of harbors.

Anyone have the elevation profile, or whatever you call it, for the ride?

Last edited by island rider; 06-30-09 at 02:25 PM. Reason: misplaced clause
Old 06-30-09, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by island rider
So... who did the 105? Snake Hill Road was one thing. The road out of Port Jefferson was quite another,
The HBC AA Group does one or the other every weekend. Both are fairly harmless. In fact, we race each other up them. And no one has a triple, in fact most of us are riding standard doubles.

I can't think of any "hills" of any consequence on the South Shore.

Old 06-30-09, 02:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
The HBC AA Group does one or the other every weekend. Both are fairly harmless. In fact, we race each other up them. And no one has a triple, in fact most of us are riding standard doubles.

I can't think of any "hills" of any consequence on the South Shore.

God bless you guys. Sure they are harmless, but a AA rider I ain't. I would be happy to race you up the hill at the end of Port Jeff, but you might have to time me with a sun-dial. At least snake-hill is somewhat shorter. Granted, the respiratory infection I was/am suffering from might have been a problem as my breathing was somewhat limited and coughing up pieces of lung disrupted my technique a bit, but I was definitely looking down and wishing I saw a triple instead of a double.
Old 06-30-09, 02:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea, we are certainly into pain. I have heard rummors that the other groups call us the "S&M" Group. There have been days when, if I could have caught my breath, I would have puked.
Old 06-30-09, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
Yea, we are certainly into pain. I have heard rummors that the other groups call us the "S&M" Group. There have been days when, if I could have caught my breath, I would have puked.

Let's just say now I know why Bionic Bill begged off from this one!
Old 06-30-09, 03:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep trying to get Diane to go with me to one of the club rides, but she keeps backing out. I let it slip that we rode 62 miles in 3:19 from Green Lawn to Port Jeff and back on River Road, and now she keeps making excuses.

Our total ride time on the Bike Boat Bike was just over 5:30, but we missed a couple of turns and only rode 109 miles.