Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

road hub interchangable with mountain bike hub?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I just bought a shimano 105 rear hub for a mountain bike and did not know this is for a road bike. I compared them and the only thing I can see that is different is the diameter of the shell. Every thing else for example holes, flange size, width, seems to be the same. Bought item on Ebay so its not returnable, is it worth a try to change the hubs..Pros/ Cons if it fits.. or just purchase a mountain bike hub.

Thanks,
Old 06-12-04, 08:59 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why are you buying hubs when you don't know the application? Would I run it? Hell no.

Last edited by Raiyn; 06-12-04 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-12-04, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The 105 hub is made for a standard road bike axle length (called over-locknut distance OLD) of 130mm. The standard for MTBs is 135. Its better to get an MTB compatible hub. The 105 is strong-enough for off-road riding, but not extreme stunts. Its just the wrong width.
Did the hub have a wheel attatched? Its unusual to have a 26" rim on a 105 hub.
If not, are you planning to buil up a wheel? Then you should learn a bit more about wheels.
The best thing you can do with that 105 hub is to use it as the basis for a road bike and do some proper cycling