Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Handle bar height and reach.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what exactly is the proper way to set handle bar height and reach but I'm just going by what is most comfortable. This is my bike now...

From a seated position I find that I'm a little too low when my hands are near the stem and at the same time I'm reaching to far forward. Judging by the picture, should my stem come up a bit?

As far as reach goes... smaller stem?
Old 06-05-09, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
push your saddle forward lol
Old 06-05-09, 04:26 PM
my hubs are dirty

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iansmash
push your saddle forward lol
Saddle adjustments are for placing your body over the bottom bracket and pedals, not for fixing reach issues.

Get a shorter stem.
Old 06-05-09, 04:30 PM
hey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The setup now looks reasonable but this is the Internet not the LBS therefore **********?
Note that moving the saddle forward will bring you closer to the bars but also move you to a different position above the bottom bracket.
...yeah you can raise the stem.
...get a shorter one if that helps.
Old 06-05-09, 04:31 PM
hey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snowman beat me to the BB remark
Old 06-06-09, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Why don't you try raising your stem up to the minimum insertion mark? That'll raise the handlebar and move it closer to the saddle. Ride it that way for awhile. If you decide you don't like it you'll have a better idea of what you have to do and you won't have wasted any money.
Old 06-06-09, 02:02 PM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Why don't you try raising your stem up to the minimum insertion mark? That'll raise the handlebar and move it closer to the saddle. Ride it that way for awhile. If you decide you don't like it you'll have a better idea of what you have to do and you won't have wasted any money.
I don't know about other manufacturers, but with the Nitto Technomic stems, a 4cm change in height (up) moves the handlebars back 1.5cm

WRT "minimum insertion": On the Nitto stems, it's 65mm, giving you 135mm on the Technomic "Deluxe", and 185mm on the Technomic "Standard" (the "Deluxe" is shiny, but not lengthy). The Nitto DirtDrop comes with extensions of 80mm and 100mm (same minimum insertion), but rather than looking like the number "7", it angles up-and-forward, steeply, giving added handlebar height without increasing the reach.

I just bought a Nitto DirtDrop (100mm) from Rivendell, and will be installing it as soon as I get some longer brake cables and housing (my LBS didn't leave me any slack on the lines, and tightened the brake lever assemblies so much, so...)
Old 06-06-09, 02:26 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JBHOREN-

the lateral change has more to do w/ head tube angle than the stem. Most all stems are straight, the only reason the bars are moved back when you raise it up higher is b/c the headtube is slanted backwards.
Old 06-07-09, 09:48 AM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
the lateral change has more to do w/ head tube angle than the stem. Most all stems are straight, the only reason the bars are moved back when you raise it up higher is b/c the headtube is slanted backwards.
Never discount the effects of age and alcohol...

Rivendell's figures were (IIRC) for a 72° headtube angle.