Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick BB Installation Question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 11:13 AM
huffy owns

Bikes: Catrike Expedition, KHS XC 204 mountain bike, Nashbar SS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have all of the tools I need, however I was just curious about something.

You need a crank puller to extract the crank off of the bottom bracket spindle. Okay, fine. But when I'm putting it back on, is there no "crank pusher" procedure to do? Or do I simply just mount the crank arm and put in the bolt and tighten with a torque wrench??

I just thought maybe I'd have to do the opposite of when you pull the crank off. I thought there'd be a tool to tighten it down back in, besides that bolt w/ the torque wrench.
Old 06-06-09, 11:33 AM

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
No, the crank puller is to overcome the binding/setting that occurs with the torque of the crank bolt into the spindle. This can be quite a force to deal with, so the puller just pushes against the spindle (or pulls the crank away from the spindle) and pops the crank off.

It is the crank bolt that tightening (torque) will set again to the spindle. No special tool needed, but I would highly recommend the torque wrench. Gets rid of all the creaks, clicks, and chainline issues.
Old 06-06-09, 05:23 PM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Make sure you put the washer back in before installing the bolt, otherwise you may find that the bolt will loosen in use which may lead to the square hole in your crank rounding out (and thus destroying your crank).

-j