Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I did the Hill-Pumper "All Wet" Metric yesterday(with pics)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 03:18 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, there is no such event as the Hill-Pumper "All Wet" Metric, but it is what I am naming my self supported metric that I did yesterday. I am attempting my first full century next weekend, so I need one longer ride this week for training. My days were limited since I had other commitments today and thunder storms earlier this week made riding not safe. The weather report called for showers in the afternoon, so I was sure I could beat out the water before the end of the ride. I looked at sky before I headed out and thought it might be smart to throw on my rain jacket just in case. It was the smartest thing that I did all day. Ten minutes into my ride, the rain started. Not showers as forecast, but a 2 plus hours of rain falling from the sky. At one point water was running down the road. Thirty five miles into the trip, I had the option of cutting my trip short, but the rain finely stopped, so I pushed on. Right after that decision I dumped my bike while crossing a still wet railroad track. I had a bloody spot about a size of a quarter on my left knee. Fortunately, my new new Giro gloves saved my hands and did not become damaged in the accident. Anyway, I pressed on to do a full 62 miles to make a perfect 100k ride. So here are a few pictures of my wet adventure.

This is the Buena Vista Ferry, it's one of only 23 cable ferries left in the county. The operator was kind enough to come pick up even though he did not have any vehicles from the other side.

This the entry to the Ankeny Wildlife Refuge. During the winter thousands of birds, mostly waterfowl stay here.

This my loyal steed getting under a tree to get out of the rain for awhile.

And this is me, the not amused cyclist in the rain. (Notice the water on the jacket)

Over all, I am proud that I stuck it out to finish this ride, it may have been the hardest ride that I have done to date. Then again, what a great way to test my metal before my century.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 06-06-09 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 07:23 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
And this is me, the not amused cyclist in the rain. (Notice the water on the jacket)

Over all, I am proud that I stuck it out to finish this ride, it may have been the hardest ride that I have done to date. Then again, what a great way to test my metal before my century.
You were testing both your metal (the bike) and your mettle (your courage, determination, heart). Can I borrow some of your mettle next time I have a tough ride? Frankly, after reading about your metric, I want to be you when I grow up.

Congratulations on a fine result!

Old 06-06-09, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hill-Pumper, do you ever ride Pettibone Rd ?
Old 06-06-09, 11:17 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
You were testing both your metal (the bike) and your mettle (your courage, determination, heart). Can I borrow some of your mettle next time I have a tough ride? Frankly, after reading about your metric, I want to be you when I grow up.

Congratulations on a fine result!
Thanks Neil, maybe I should want to grow up like you and spell what I mean better. Honestly, you have done things on tour that I could only dream of doing. We all have our strong points and mine is that I seem to be a glutton for punishment. Besides, I thought you wanted to be like Beanz when you grew up.

Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda
Hill-Pumper, do you ever ride Pettibone Rd ?
HelpMeRhonda, as a matter of fact I do ride around that area quite a bit. I am always up for a ride if you would like.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 06-06-09 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling again!!!
Old 06-07-09, 04:42 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
I thought you wanted to be like Beanz when you grew up.
Nah, Beanz only rides in good weather.

Old 06-07-09, 06:28 PM

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That seems like a perfectly fine day of sunshine for Oregon. Not so much for a ride though. Congratulations on the commitment to finish that Hill Pumper I need to start riding out that way, get out of Portland more:0.