Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

low-carb vegan

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

low-carb vegan

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 11:31 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
low-carb vegan

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/he...9diet.html?hpw

I can't imagine doing this but it is the logical consequence of my last couple blood tests, elevated LDL + glucose (though also elevated HDL). Sheesh.
Old 06-09-09, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, the ny times wants my registration info to read their article... fooey to that. so, i haven't read it. but my question is, what exactly do they mean by 'carb'?

are they talking processed, fibre-reduced complex carbs like pasta? simple sugars like fruit? high fibre, low-calorie-density stuff like, uh, kale or something?
Old 06-09-09, 12:37 PM
GATC

They were vague but cut out flour and things that are made from it along w/ potatos and rice.

They used ~26% of calories from 'other' carbohydrates, 31% from protein, 43% from fat. The protein examples were either soy products or nuts. They do mention 'cereals' don't know if that could include brown rice, say.
Old 06-09-09, 01:01 PM
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
They were vague but cut out flour and things that are made from it along w/ potatos and rice.

They used ~26% of calories from 'other' carbohydrates, 31% from protein, 43% from fat. The protein examples were either soy products or nuts. They do mention 'cereals' don't know if that could include brown rice, say.
May I suggest that you go to the library and checkout the book "The Soy Zone". Its one of several "zone diet books" but is geared towards obtaining protein from soy and other vegetable sources. As a T2, its a good book to read and get a handle on how to eat.

and to put it into perspective, my last Cholesterol test came back as HDL 64; LDL 52; Trigs 55
Old 06-09-09, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hm.

sounds like their issue is with the complex carbs with high gi, low fibre and all that: stuff that's got a strong insulin reaction, not a lot of nutrition and a hefty calorie density.

if that's the stuff that they're discussing, then avoiding it is "easy". the major obstacle is our culture, which is so firmly built upon a history of three-square four food group existance that concocting an image of vegan that isn't just meat-n-potato with more potato and no meat is difficult.

the hard part i would say isn't compensating for not eat animal products -- i mean, there are bajillions of analogues and other protien sources out there, many of them good-tasting and affordable -- the hard part is compensating for not eating bread or pasta or potatoes or whatever.

i would cautiously suggest looking at the thrive diet by brendan barzier. i say 'cautiously' because i've done very little looking into it. basically just enough to engage in converation abou it -- it seems like over the last year or so everyone who knows i'm a vegan has asked me what i think of this 'thrive' thing. the nub of the gist is a focus on easily-digestible proteins (more hemp than soy and gluten) and high-fibre, nutrient dense, calorie un-dense carbs (ie "vegetables") with a generous helping of nuts all around (really, all vegans love nuts. it's just a fact). sounds very similar to what your considering.

now, as for myself, i've been vegan for twenty-whatever years and have, over the last decade, really moved away from processed startches in favour of non-grain vegetables and fruit and smaller amounts of hefty whole grains (hulled barley, quinoa &c.). now, i don't eat this way with the religious fervour that some do (well, except for the vegan part. that's non-negotiable) so i can't attest to how hard it is to find a wheat-free vegan meal with plenty of efa's at the mall or whatever, but aside from that i can say that as a diet it's not that difficult. food availability, even in low-price suburban supermarkets, is high. interesting and diverse protein sources are more available now than ever before and often very affordable. the 'novelty' grains such as quinoa, hulled barley, wild rice and spelt are everywhere now and the variety of fresh vegetables is way larger than a decade ago.
Old 06-10-09, 10:45 AM
GATC

Thanks to both of you.
Old 06-15-09, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
would be very interesting had they thrown some of us pescetarians into the mix (vegetarian + fish)