Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing REALLY REALLY stuck cartridge bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Gitane Super Corsa, Shogun Ninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what to do with these damn things. The hub is a Formula/IRO/Nashbar/Rebranded-by-everyone track hub and I've been riding it for a long time in all sorts of weather. When I took the wheel off I noticed the bearings were really gritty so I wanted to replace them. I've been using this method: https://projekto-b.blogspot.com/2008/...-bearings.html which is basically just take off locknuts, cones, etc, put a block of wood on top of the axle and whack the wood with the hammer. No dice. I'm whacking it HARD and the bearings won't budge. I tried both sides. Any ideas? Is there a better way to do this? If I take it to my LBS will they have a tool for it? Is it possible to hit too hard and damage the hub or should I just find a bigger hammer?
Thanks!
Old 06-10-09, 04:57 AM

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spray them down with penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench, give it some time to do its thing, then try again.
If that doesn't work, you could try warming the hub with a heat gun (aluminum expands & contracts at a different rate than steel, which could help break the bond) and/or a bigger hammer.
If it's not too late, you should thread an old nut onto the end of the axle you're pounding on to help prevent damaging the threads too badly and making it non-reusable.

Last edited by Torchy McFlux; 06-10-09 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 05:05 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
+1 on the penetrating oil suggestion. Also, any even remote chance the bearings are held by C-clips or split rings?

If you are really hitting them hard enough, the inner races and balls should have come out even if it left the outer races in place. Your link refers to that scenario. I expect you need a bigger hammer.
Old 06-10-09, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Gitane Super Corsa, Shogun Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No luck with the penetrating oil but they did come out with a much, much bigger hammer. Thanks all.
Old 06-10-09, 07:54 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Fire

Hit that **** with fire, or ****ing **** that **** with a dremel and use up 2 hours worth of labour. Keep that in mind for the next reparation.
Old 06-10-09, 08:07 PM
I make stuff up

Bikes: '85 Ritchey Commando, '96 Specialized Sirrus, '06 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**** operator! ****ing hammered already?
Old 06-10-09, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed cartridge bearings just for the heck of it from a Performance Bike wheel that had about 8,000 miles on it, where the inner wall of the rim was cracking at the weld, and the bearings were getting rough anyway. I had the hub separated from wheel - no spokes. I used a c-clamp, with one side on the spindle and the other side on a large socket over the opposite spindle, covering the hub opening. I pressed-out the bearings with the c-clamp. I then pressed the bearings back in using a smaller socket that fit over the bearing cartridge, but within the inner diameter of the hub. I just wanted to see how difficult it was. More trouble than I'm willing to go to. Performance Bike wheels are cheap enough, so I think I'll just be replacing the wheels. I open up the hubs about once a year and squish fresh grease in. I suppose I could use Brake Clean to flush out the old grease. Anybody else have servicing ideas?
Old 06-10-09, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Torchy McFlux;
If it's not too late, you should thread an old nut onto the end of the axle you're pounding on to help prevent damaging the threads too badly and making it non-reusable.[/QUOTE]

He had it right, using a block of wood to protect the axle. Pounding on an axle nut is a very reliable way to ruin the threads.