Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I smoked a fit guy and I liked it (petty ?)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an acquaintance send me an email yesterday and asked me if I wanted to meet him at 6:30 to ride the "Tunnel Hill Trail". I agreed and asked him if he had ever ridden the 20 mile section to the tunnel and back and was he prepared for that. He informed me that he was a RUNNER! and it would be no problem.

When we got there, I commented on his seat. I suggested the he might want to raise it....I don't know....maybe.....6" Good lord, he had his seat set to look like a BMX. His response was "that's the way I like it" Okydokey!

So we took off and I suggested we might want to keep an eye on the sunset and not go all the way to the tunnel as neither of us had lights and I, having ridden this trail over 10 times in the last couple years have a pretty good idea of the time it takes. He was very insistent that there would be no problem making it.

Anyway, I noticed about 3 miles in, that he was no where in site. I stopped and waited and finally he came around a corner. I asked if he was ok? He was huffing and puffing and waved me on because he was too out of wind to talk Off again, cruising at about 13 mph for the next 3 miles (a very slight incline). He kept falling back. At the 7 mile mark I came to the Breeden Trestle and waited again for him to appear. This time, I thought something had happened to him. Finally he appeared. I know I am not much of buddy here, but his attitude was not setting well with me. Also, I need to point out that I was really only riding my normal fat guy pace. When I suggested that we might actually have time to make it another 3 miles to the tunnel and be able to make it back before complete dark, he said "We better go back, your a pretty big guy and I don't want you to push yourself too much

Well, it was now ON!!! I smiled, turned around and we headed back. I have to tell ya, I had the biggest smile on my face as I cruised out of his site. The next 7 miles back to the truck were heaven. My legs and lungs were in perfect harmony as I screamed down this gravel trail. I got back in time to change shirts, check my Blackberry for emails and suck down a Fat Tire before he emerged from the woods on the trail .

I don't do well with Vibrato, real or false, and I know I was petty, but this cat was strummin my nerves from the get-go. Actually, I can't wait to ride with him again.................It was fun to Smoke the Runner and my self-esteem is in much better shape than before the ride. We have a pretty healthy set of hills called "Pine Hills Trail", I am thinking that should be our next ride
Old 06-12-09, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I was reading your post, I thought you were being a litlle hard on him. Untill you got to the part about how he said he didn't want you to push yourself too much. I'm glad you smoked that cocky little %#!@.
Old 06-12-09, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
running uses different muscles, he probably wasn't expecting that; I would say cut him some slack up until the point that he says to turn around in order to save YOU from losing face . unless he was being sarcastic, or something.
Old 06-12-09, 10:24 AM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I'd go ride with him again, and suggest the same tweaks to his fit. Maybe he'll actually listen?
Old 06-12-09, 10:30 AM
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say ride with him again, but this time put a chaise lounger, a TV, and a big cooler with a 6-pack in the truck. When you get back, set up the lounger and TV, and have a beer. Try to arrange it so you're taking a nice nap when he finally gets back
Old 06-12-09, 10:32 AM
drop you like a potato

Bikes: MERCKX, RIDLEY CROSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat Tire, in ILL?
Old 06-12-09, 10:35 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Great story...

Some folks deserve to get schooled... I have always come at it from the other side where big guys have questioned my ability to do certain physical things and I have always proved them wrong.

I guess the lesson is that you should never assume anything based on a person's appearance.

The lounge chair and tv sounds like a great idea.
Old 06-12-09, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Socalcycling
Fat Tire, in ILL?
Sure. It is almost everywhere now, and since I put these on the bike, I feel a duty to drink the Fat Tire (besides its a really good amber ale)

Old 06-12-09, 12:48 PM
Serious Newbie

Bikes: Walmart Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome story, I never really felt bad during the story I gotta admit. He was obviously bragging from the get-go and most likely came to the ride expecting to show you up.

Fat Tire is my go to beverage, that and Sam Adams. We even are getting the "Canned" Fat-Tire here now. (Missouri) Which is awesome when you heading to the park!
Old 06-12-09, 01:01 PM
What is a jsharr?

Bikes: Kona Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set his house on fire, that'll learn him.

Couch
Old 06-12-09, 01:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Love it! Believe me, the skinnies take it for granted, beat their skinny lil arses!

Few years back I was training for a 10,000ft climbing century (doing it again tomorrow). Some coworker said he was into mtb'ing. Invited then said there was no way I could bet him as I outweighed him by 70 lbs. We set out on a 20 mile ride near Idlewild/Herky Creek. First mile was up a dried waterfall . I waited at the top of the climb for 15 minutes...Needless to say his $2000 machine was embarrassed by my $250 Trek 800 rigid.

I don't care what others say, they all compete so savor your victories.

Some riders even race you when you don't know it. I've had forum members post " I blew by Mr. Beanz today". But what they forget to mention is that we were 2 miles warming up into our 50 miler adn had no idea we were racing at the time!

They all do it! Kick butt and enjoy!
Old 06-12-09, 04:35 PM
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Love it! Believe me, the skinnies take it for granted, beat their skinny lil arses!

Few years back I was training for a 10,000ft climbing century (doing it again tomorrow). Some coworker said he was into mtb'ing. Invited then said there was no way I could bet him as I outweighed him by 70 lbs. We set out on a 20 mile ride near Idlewild/Herky Creek. First mile was up a dried waterfall . I waited at the top of the climb for 15 minutes...Needless to say his $2000 machine was embarrassed by my $250 Trek 800 rigid.

I don't care what others say, they all compete so savor your victories.

Some riders even race you when you don't know it. I've had forum members post " I blew by Mr. Beanz today". But what they forget to mention is that we were 2 miles warming up into our 50 miler adn had no idea we were racing at the time!

They all do it! Kick butt and enjoy!
I can't think of anyone that would post about passing other people who were clearly not racing.
Old 06-12-09, 05:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey
I can't think of anyone that would post about passing other people who were clearly not racing.

Like I said, we all compete with one another. Races are the funniest guys. I was out on the trail pushing myself for a good workout a few weeks ago. I courteously went around two guys dressed in local race uniforms. I guess they felt threatened about getting passed by a guy in an IN-N-Out Brurger t-shirt. They had to team up and draft one another to try to outrun me.

They pulled off the trail after 3 miles. They are more than likely in another forum posting how some guy in cotton t was thinking that we were racing.
Old 06-12-09, 05:44 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jboyd
I don't do well with Vibrato, real or false, and I know I was petty, but this cat was strummin my nerves from the get-go. Actually, I can't wait to ride with him again.................It was fun to Smoke the Runner and my self-esteem is in much better shape than before the ride. We have a pretty healthy set of hills called "Pine Hills Trail", I am thinking that should be our next ride
Why don't you offer to take a nice run with him.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-12-09, 07:11 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jboyd
I really enjoyed your story a lot, and see why you feel so satified. But you never know, he may raise his saddle or otherwise be better prepared the next time... so don't get too carried away with your accomplishment. Best not to fly too near the sun sometimes. (Again, I did dig it though.)

Also, no biggie, but did you perchance mean "bravado"? Vibrato is something stringed instrument players do.
Old 06-12-09, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Old 06-12-09, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Also, no biggie, but did you perchance mean "bravado"? Vibrato is something stringed instrument players do.
My bad

Spell check didn't catch it, so it slipped through. I am comfortable in my illiteracy and will not even go back and edit

Thanks BD
Old 06-13-09, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, racing people who don't know they're racing is how I racked up my impressive string of victories on the MUP!! Good story, I'd ride with him again, Show off the power of the Clyde!!
Old 06-15-09, 08:17 PM
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OOH Nice title to the post!
Old 06-15-09, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Missbumble
OOH Nice title to the post!
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted, but it was too late to change

Whatever sells right?
Old 06-15-09, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha ha, loved this post. I love those occasions when someone underestimates me because of my size and is completely shocked when I blow by them (usually while swimming rather than cycling, mind you). Savor your victories where and when you get them.
Old 06-16-09, 08:15 AM
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought smoking fit guys was illegal in all 50 states? Plus, how did you fit him into the pipe?

(sorry couldn't resist)
Old 06-16-09, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigUgly
I thought smoking fit guys was illegal in all 50 states? Plus, how did you fit him into the pipe?

(sorry couldn't resist)

Oh! So you do know me
Old 06-16-09, 11:04 AM
Mike the Bike

Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
petty cool!!
Old 06-16-09, 02:32 PM
Just some Guy

Bikes: 1999 specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good times, i love showing off that I'm not a complete slob, even though i'm a bit overweight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.