Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downer Ave. Races

Downer Classic is part of the Tour of Americas Dairyland an Inaugrial Tour event held on June 27th Versus The Great Downer Avenue Bike Race part of the International Cycling Classic held on July 25th. Is the Downer Classic an annual race event or is it something new for the Tour of Americas Dairyland. Trying to figure out if the Super Prime that was held at the International event is also going to be held at the Downer Classic event. I mean are you going to be able to spend a few bucks and end up with a t-shirt, beer, and Italian Sausages. Hmmm beeerrrrrr...... I also won a water bottle last year.
Old 06-12-09, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You raise a very important question. Downer Avenue has been a hallmark race for Superweek since the beginning and has been a Pro 1/2 only race until last year when, for the first time ever, lower classes were allowed to race on the hallowed course. (you guys don't know how lucky you are ... one of my career goals was to do that race and then to participate in the annual, unofficial, 'track stand' contest that occurred for the back markers ... but, I never got to Cat 2 and so never did that race. ). Can there be two Downer Avenue races? With both ToAD and Superweek putting on Downer Ave, will one become more dominant over the other? It's a question that many are asking and only time will tell!

As for the Super Prime, Bens Cyclery supplies the cash for that one, not Super Week, funded partially by the little party that takes part just around turn one. I read at the ToAD site that they are having the Bens Cyclery Super Prime (won last year by Rock Racing's Justin Williams) . He stated that he rode down the front stretch on Downer Ave at 42mph before diving into turn one, to win that $7,000 !!

Take a look at that gallery ... it was an emotional night for Rock.

Does Super Week have something up their sleeves for Downer Ave this year to make it stand out? We will have to wait and see.

I know that a lot of people are not happy with some of the ways S.W. has been run the past few years. Personally, I hope that they can continue to operate at top level and we can have TWO multi day series here.

It's going to be an exciting summer and I can't wait to see what happens. I'll be there everyday to report on the news.

Last edited by John Wilke; 06-12-09 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
You raise a very important question. Downer Avenue has been a hallmark race for Superweek since the beginning and has been a Pro 1/2 only race until last year when, for the first time ever, lower classes were allowed to race on the hallowed course. (you guys don't know how lucky you are ... one of my career goals was to do that race and then to participate in the annual, unofficial, 'track stand' contest that occurred for the back markers ... but, I never got to Cat 2 and so never did that race. ). Can there be two Downer Avenue races? With both ToAD and Superweek putting on Downer Ave, will one become more dominant over the other? It's a question that many are asking and only time will tell!

As for the Super Prime, Bens Cyclery supplies the cash for that one, not Super Week, funded partially by the little party that takes part just around turn one. I read at the ToAD site that they are having the Bens Cyclery Super Prime (won last year by Rock Racing's Justin Williams) . He stated that he rode down the front stretch on Downer Ave at 42mph before diving into turn one, to win that $7,000 !!

Take a look at that gallery ... it was an emotional night for Rock.

Does Super Week have something up their sleeves for Downer Ave this year to make it stand out? We will have to wait and see.

I know that a lot of people are not happy with some of the ways S.W. has been run the past few years. Personally, I hope that they can continue to operate at top level and we can have TWO multi day series here.

It's going to be an exciting summer and I can't wait to see what happens. I'll be there everyday to report on the news.
According to Ben's web page it looks as though the "super" money is going with ToAD. Althoug, I didn't see a link to donate for it as they've had on there in the past. So, who knows.

I'm one of those sloppy lower cat riders to did the Downer Ave race last year. It was great. Great course, and great area of town. I wish I could hit it again this year, but the timing does not work (and Superweek wouldn't let me, anyway).

Edit- More info here
Old 06-12-09, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great link.

The community loves that race, the riders love that race, the organizers love that race.

https://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/38826917.html

"What Downer Avenue merchants decided to do is go to the new date, the full day of racing, the house parties and the Ben’s Cycle Super Prime," said Mike Eitel, president of the merchants association.

Eitel is an owner of the Cafe Hollander, a Belgian-cycling-themed bar and restaurant located at the start / finish line of the Downer Avenue criterium course.

The Midwest Cycling Series will finish about a week before the Superweek Pro Tour, scheduled to run from July 9 to 26 in 2009. That series will hold a pros-only twi-light race on Downer Ave. on July 25, giving the retail district two big cycling events.

“We’re going to try it out this year and if the races don’t cannibalize each other we’ll go ahead with it,” Eitel said.
Old 06-13-09, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your help with my question. Now I have to rearrange my plans for that weekend. Last year at superweek it was a great race. So I hope that ToAD gets the same support and results.
Old 06-13-09, 09:54 AM
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWenzel
Thank you for your help with my question. Now I have to rearrange my plans for that weekend. Last year at superweek it was a great race. So I hope that ToAD gets the same support and results.
ToAD will be the big show this year.