Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

trek 7.2fx or specialized sirrus sport

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get back into biking. I am 6'6" and an athletic 250lbs (32 yrs old). I will be doing a sprint triathlon in the summer but the bike will be mainly for fitness and ridden on roads and bike paths. If I do another triathlon it would only be a once a year thing so I do not want to plan a bike purchase around it. I am not a serious triathlete.

I have narrowed it down to the trek fx 7.2 or a specialized sirrus sport. I test rode the sirrus and liked it a lot. The shop did not have a trek 7.2 for my size. My main concern is whether the sirrus wheels are too thin for my weight. I may trim down to 230 but I hover in the 230-250 range.

Will the sirrus 28mm wheels hold up for a guy my size? or are the wider trek wheels better off for me? DO the rims or spokes in these bikes differ greatly. Is one bike known to have more durability for a larger guy.

I feel like the sirrus bike may be set up to be faster which I like. I would love to hear from some sirrus owners in my size range.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-12-09, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same choice to make last October.
I found it was actually best for me to step up to a 7.3FX (instead of the 7.2)
the cost difference seemed really good for me. Although, keep in mind I was able to find a 2008 7.3

Couldn't be happier for a commuter/fitness bike.

(but less than a year later, I'm working on upgrading to a Portland or another road bike with pannier capability for my commuting..... I found I love the road bikes more)
Old 06-13-09, 02:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LBS recommended the Sirrus Sport. I read about problems with broken spokes and he assured me it was a batch of back spokes and I probalby wouldn't have that problem. I did break one spoke and they fixed it immediatly. Choose your bike shop...

I bent the axle on a mountain bike, so it is also how you treat the bike. ... don't go into a power skid at our size.
Old 06-13-09, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 285 and ride a Sirrus. As you say, the sirrus is closer to a road bike than the trek 7.2. (as many will point out, however, it's a hybrid, jack of all trades, master of none, but.....)

It's a popular commuter bike over in the commuter forum..my sirrus will become the full time commuter bike after I purchase a road bike in a year. I'm hoping to work up to a 100km ride on the Sirrus later this summer.

I did pop a spoke a couple weeks ago, I blame it on not getting the spokes retensioned after 300 km or so. Bring the bike back in for a tuneup (most shops provide it as part of the purchase), and talk them into retensioning the wheels as part of the tuneup.

As for 28mm tires, I keep them pumped to 110-120 psi, and they hold up.