Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fun in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 12:34 AM
BikeNewbie

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fun in the rain

The last two days have been drizzly sloppy rain around here. Yesterday I rode 5 miles to the gym, worked out then decided to try to add 15 miles to the tally. Rain started up again when I was 2 miles out (7 from home). Oh well. I'm already wet, right?

I forgot how much fun it is to *intentionally* bomb through a puddle and not give a fig's hairy nut if you get soaked. the MUP here has this one dip that turns into a 8-inch deep, 30-foot long lake in heavy rains. I went through it at 30. If it'd been safe I totally would have thrown my hands up and yelled "WHEEEEEE!" like on a log flume ride.

Today I was thinking of going 20 miles and trying to figure out what cadence I am capable of sustaining. Got 7.5 miles out and my phone beeped for an important email...it was the guy from craigslist about the bike I was interested in (which I ended up buying). He wanted to meet in an hour! I flew back home so fast I thought my legs would fall off. I was dripping wet, with mud splatters ALL over my face, glasses, helmet, body, bike...and a huge smile on my face. Second day in a row I came hope sopping and filthy and grinning like an idiot. Wet & dirty is fun.

On the other hand, I'd like a couple nice, clear sunny days now if that's okay with the weather guy...
Old 06-14-09, 05:17 AM

Bikes: 1 Giant and a shed full of Treks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey stark23x, I knew you must be from the northeast when I read about the rain. I did the same thing last Fri. morning.. I forgot how much greasy road grime can end up in your hair. Maybe I should invest in a clip on fender.
Old 06-14-09, 05:22 AM

Bikes: 1 Giant and a shed full of Treks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, Here's a ride coming up. We did it last year. It's a nice easy ride. Not too far from you. Did the 22 last year, doing the 50 this year.

https://guidezilla.com/event.asp?id=12393
Old 06-15-09, 10:50 PM
BikeNewbie

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJKarl
BTW, Here's a ride coming up. We did it last year. It's a nice easy ride. Not too far from you. Did the 22 last year, doing the 50 this year.

https://guidezilla.com/event.asp?id=12393
Checked it out. Talked to the wife. Had a debate with my legs. And my...more private areas that would be...uhh..."impacted" by spending all day in a saddle.

I'm gonna try for 50. Never rode more than 32 in a single day, but no guts, no glory right? Thanks for the link....maybe we'll see each other there! I'll be the short pudgy guy on a red dept. store schwinn looking completely out of his depth.