Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Back on two wheels

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Back on two wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 12:22 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Back on two wheels

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I'm David Newton in Beaumont, Tx and I'm hoping to become a regular on two wheels after many years of not having the right bike, because of gaining weight.

My first two wheeled bike was a baloon tire bike that I had to lean against the house to climb up on, I had to fall off to stop. JC higgins bikes and Western Auto 26 inchers were my constant companion growing up. Mom always got mad at me 'cause I would strip the fenders and guards off, every ounce of extra weight would end up under the tree out back, where we worked on bikes.

In 1970 it all changed when I bought my first "english racer" a Robin Hood with Sturmey-Archer 3 speed, took me back and forth to class in college. Near the end of my stint in the Navy I bought a "Champagne" Raleigh International, the sweetest ride of my life so far. I could ride the long hills of central Texas, and not be tired at the end of a day in the saddle.

When dating my wife-to-be, I bought her a "Star of London" probably a Raleigh Sport with another label, and we would go on rides together. I had a friend who had a shop and introduced me to racing bikes of the Italian persuasion, with cut out bottom brackets in the shape of a shamrock.

My International was stolen, and since then I have not had a decent bike. I drifted to motorcycles as I needed to go faster and farther. I have gained weight eating my wife's wonderful cooking, and now at 57 I'm losing the battle and have determined to get back in the saddle.

I tried to go on a Miyata Triton, but it felt weak beneath my weight, so I'm put together a hodge-podge of parts and wheels on a Specialized Rock something-or other, that will carry me till I can get my weight down. It is single speed with front wheel brake. I look forward to the day I can ride what I really want to go on, a fixie.

I know most won't read this, so look for me in the "fat guy" area, and in Vintage Bikes, my main interest.
sincerely,
Dave in Tejas
Old 06-15-09, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Welcome to bike forums...
Old 06-15-09, 02:50 PM
takin' it to the streets

Bikes: 1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! Those "vintage" bike descriptions made me drool.