Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Looking at a Trek 7000 is bike worth the extra

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to buy two bicycles one for me one for my wife. The LBS bikes are very nice but out of my ability to pay for but I did find the Trek 7000 that I liked the look of and feel of that is on sale. Would buying this bike be worth a few extra dollars over a box store bike?
Old 06-15-09, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
HELL YES!

What you get from a bike store is service after the sale, and the knowledge that the bike was assembled by someone that does it for a living.

Would you expect your local Target/Wally World/Kmart to adjust the bike after you've ridden it awhile? Bike stores typically offer free tuneups because cables stretch causing braking and shifting irregularities, things loosen and generally need to be adjusted.

Support the local guys....buy from a LBS.

David
Old 06-15-09, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to compare bicycles only say the boxstore bike and the Trek were side by side in the same store whether LBS or box is dosn't matter. (now I know this is not the case but just want to compare only the bikes itself). Is the trek 7000 worth $50 to $100 more.
now I am truely a nubie so bear with me for my lack of knowledge on the subject.
thanks
Old 06-15-09, 04:53 PM
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What you get from a good lbs is attention to help with fitting you on a right bike. Big box stores normally are faceless. So the person manning the bike station on that day may be from the garden centre or electronics. Then when it comes to prepping the bike... yowzah!
However I notice some big box stores where I am are starting to carry some good quality bikes. So if you know what to look for, you may score a good bike for a good price. Just bring it to a LBS for servicing.
Old 06-15-09, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok just to clarify I will probaly not be buying from "Walmart" I plan to support the LBS. I just wanted to know if the Trek 7000 was that much better or am I going to have to keep saveing for another season.
I've read the threads on how Walmart sucks and they have convinced me. The one statement about how many bikes of that type are sold compared to how many you actually see ridden actually did it for me. On the trail you see mostly giants, treks, and the likes with a few Huffys and the likes here and there. just an observation and may not mean a thing, but convincing.
thanks for you input
Old 06-15-09, 10:06 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cldwingnut
Ok just to clarify I will probaly not be buying from "Walmart" I plan to support the LBS. I just wanted to know if the Trek 7000 was that much better or am I going to have to keep saveing for another season.
I've read the threads on how Walmart sucks and they have convinced me. The one statement about how many bikes of that type are sold compared to how many you actually see ridden actually did it for me. On the trail you see mostly giants, treks, and the likes with a few Huffys and the likes here and there. just an observation and may not mean a thing, but convincing.
thanks for you input
That much better than what specifically???
Old 06-16-09, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
something you can find at Walmart or Target?
Old 06-16-09, 10:11 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cldwingnut
something you can find at Walmart or Target?
I really don't think this question can be answered. Bike makes and models vary considerably due to the parts that are attached to the frame and due to the ride quality of that particular bike. It would be like asking how a generic Ford compares to a generic Chevy. You might have your brand biases, but to make an informed buying decision you need to compare like model to like model.

I've seen Schwinns in Target (I think) and other "known brands" carried in mass retailers. So it might be unfair to say that "ALL" bikes sold in big box retailers are crap. But they for the most are just that. Crap.

I think it's a moot point though. I'd never, nor would I recommend to anyone, that they buy a bike from Wal-Mart when they can instead go to a LBS.

David
Old 06-16-09, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The box store bikes tend to be much heavier, which is a pain when riding up hills or carrying the bike up steps. They provide rideable transportation, if you are prepared to spend some money on tools (hex keys, spoke wrench, cone wrenches) and take time to get brakes, gearshift, spoke tension, wheel bearings and crank attachment adjusted before you ride. You will probably want these if you buy the Trek, but you wont have to do all the work immediately.
Old 06-16-09, 04:51 PM
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Problem with the big box store is also they like to carry the latest fad bicycles. Meaning full suspension MTBs. And we know there is no way you can get a full suspension MTB for $200. So avoid those at all cost! However for regular bikes, I've seen some decent stuff at places like Zellers and Canadian Tire. Some of the parts that come with it are as good as ones you can find on the branded bikes at LBS! This is because with regular bikes (no fancy disc, suspension etc) the same amount of money goes towards better derailleurs, shifters, wheels, seats and even sometimes come with alumunium frames.
Still, one must consider the level of expertise on the set-up at big box store. I suppose one can just buy the bike and bring it to a LBS for set-up.
Old 06-16-09, 04:58 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
For that little bit more you will most likely get a much better bicycle, assuming that the LBS does their job in making sure the bike is set up correctly for you.

The 7000 msrp is only $360.00
Old 06-17-09, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update, bought the Trek 7000s, I took mine home and am waiting for my wifes to come in as they had to order the WSD for her. I got it home last night and couldn't wait to try it out so I took it on a black topped trail built on an old railroad bed near my house. I figured I'd go a couple of miles and turn around but was having so much fun I kept going untill I hit the end of the tail which is 7 miles then rode back. Not nearly as sore as I thought I'd be. Now I've never been on anything other then the Huffy type variety before and was amazed at the difference. So to answer my own question yes it was worth the exta money so far I hope the bikes hold up but not too worried about it as they should.
Thank you for all your replys and help.

Last edited by cldwingnut; 06-17-09 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 02:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome!

Now...as some like to say here at BF......"Go ride the crap out of them!"

David
Old 06-19-09, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cldwingnut,

Have a great time with the new bikes, you and your wife!!!
Old 06-27-09, 05:30 PM

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Trek 7000 WSD too. I love it. I don't have a lot to compare it too and likely will do some minor fitting adjustments once I ride some more. My only complaint so far is my grips are slippery when my hands are hot. That's an easy thing to fix or get used to.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-09, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TamaraEden
I have a Trek 7000 WSD too. I love it. I don't have a lot to compare it too and likely will do some minor fitting adjustments once I ride some more. My only complaint so far is my grips are slippery when my hands are hot. That's an easy thing to fix or get used to.

Good luck!

Relax and don't grip too tightly otherwise you will be in for a big mess should you need to stop suddenly.
Old 06-28-09, 12:40 AM

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelmama
Relax and don't grip too tightly otherwise you will be in for a big mess should you need to stop suddenly.
Thanks for the tip. What surprise? Do you mean like when my hand slipped off the grip and I flopped a little forward and bumped my chest on the bars? I didn't fall or anything but likely looked like an idiot
Old 07-06-09, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
What you get from target is a full replacement guarantee, and they live up to it. A friend has gotten two replacements bikes off one buy. The shifting usually screws up in less than a year. He takes it in for service and they don't know how to fix it, so they give him a new bike. Works for him. bk