Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Neeeeeeed Help On Promax DSK400**********?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi i need to find out how and where to a get a replacement spring for Promax DSK400 calliper

I have looked everywhere the one i have has snapped so i need a replacement, any ideas??
Old 06-16-09, 05:15 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
From what I can gather, the Promax DSK400 is a disc brake caliper, generally used on low end bikes. I suggest either contacting Promax directly and inquiring about a replacement (they'll likely give you one or two for free), contacting the place you bought the bike from for a replacement, or if you really like the bike, replacing the caliper with a higher quality part such as an AVID BB5 or BB7.
Old 06-16-09, 06:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay then thanks for the advice, the calliper you have recommended is it the disk as well?? im new to adding and upgrading stuff on bikes. But like most things it isn't complicated at all.

anyway is the one you have recommended a set up and also would you recommend for me to buy new brake sets for front and rear??
Old 06-16-09, 07:25 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
The Avid BB5 and BB7 both come as a complete disc brake set up (disc and caliper plus mounting hardware) minus the brake lever. If you could post some pictures of your current set up I'd have a better idea if the Avid brakes would work for you or not. Hopefully your bike has standard disc tabs on the fork.

What you upgrade is up to you. Given that it's a lower end bike, unless you plan on moving these parts to another bike when you are done with the current bike, I would spend as little money as possible getting it going again.
Old 06-16-09, 08:46 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An Avid BB5 or 7 would be better that what you have on there now, but before you go throwing money and parts at your bike, think hard about what it was worth to begin with.
You could call Promax and ask for replacement springs, but I'd be surprised if the caliper was rebuildable.

I've fixed cheap disk brakes with dead return springs by finding a coil spring of the appropriate length and sliding it onto the cable between the housing stop and arm as seen in the last picture on this page: https://blogs.phred.org/blogs/alex_we....aspx#comments

Good luck.
Old 06-18-09, 02:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from that advice on thinking weather it is worth buying decent brakes what's a pair of disk brakes which are cheap but will still stop me?
Old 06-18-09, 05:31 AM

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
BB5s and BB7s are good. not expensive as disk brakes go; $35 bucks a brake. https://jensonusa.com/store/product/B...+Brake+09.aspx