Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for some advice (road trip)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-16-09, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I decided at my young age I need to get out and see the country a bit. I am 20, have 1 online class this summer and just lost my job. I am taking my savings, putting the mountain bike on the roof and driving to wherever life takes me.

I am looking for some advice on which trails in the Midwest and the west coast are the must see trails. I am starting in Minneapolis, MN with the only definitive stop being Des Moines, IA. My goal is to stop in and see some family in Tulsa, OK and maybe venture out to see other family in Berkley, CA.

Moab is definitely on the list of considerations. I know there are lots of trails in IA. At this point I am not sure if I want to head to WA, OR, or CO. I am planning the trip to take maybe 3 weeks including driving time.

Any pointer or must see spots would be appreciated. I am hoping to leave in about 2 weeks (very short notice)

edit: definitely looking for XC type trails. I am riding a 2009 Stumpjumper Comp 29er Hardtail so I wont be doing any extreme downhill style riding.
Old 06-16-09, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With limited time and money, I'd focus on the tried and true. Moab is a given; some other hotspots are in the Colorado Rockies (Crested Butte and many others), Mammoth Mtn. and its environs in California; central Oregon (around Bend) to name only a few. All these are amid large amounts of public land; you can camp for free if you have good maps or software that gives details of USFS and BLM roads, and a car that will handle unpaved roads.
Old 06-16-09, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, there's lots of camping, sometimes free in the West. I'd recommend stopping in the Boulder/Denver area on the way to Moab. There are tons of XC trails there. Crested Butte is a little out of the way, so I'd suggest just driving the 5 hours from Denver to Moab. Moab might be a bit hot this time of year, but it's a beautiful place so I'd go anyway. Take US50 (the so-called Loneliest Road in America) for an interesting driving experience and head to the Lake Tahoe area on the border of California/Nevada. Lots of good riding around there. You might want to try renting a downhill rig at Northstar just for the heck of it. After that it's only another 4 hours to Berkeley. There are a few decent trails in the Bay Area too.

The best part of the USA is from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific - enjoy!
Old 06-16-09, 05:32 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There is nothing to ride in Washington, sadly. Better stop at Oregon.
Old 06-16-09, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is nothing to ride in Washington, sadly. Better stop at Oregon
???

While I admit it's out of the OP's way to come this far north, I'm scratching my head to figure out why you would say this. It ain't Moab up here, but there's lots of good riding of all types.
Old 06-16-09, 07:10 PM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you hit Moab, then don't miss Fruita CO only 2 hours away - if you have time and legs, ride the "edge" loop, one of the best rides I've done.

WA is OK, but if you come this far you'll have to go to Rossland BC and ride the 7 summits trail - great trail. Also, Nelson is awsome too.
Old 06-16-09, 08:09 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorris
???

While I admit it's out of the OP's way to come this far north, I'm scratching my head to figure out why you would say this.

You seem a bit slow on the uptake; I'll repeat:

Repeat after me: "There is nothing in WA to ride. There is no Spokane; no Kettle Crest; no Galbraith; no Tree Farm; no PA; and there are certainly no Exits. Nada. Forget it. Stop at Oregon."
Old 06-16-09, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Soma Saga, Soma ES, Salsa El Mariachi, Old Bianchi SS Conversion. Nishiki Cascade Beater

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor

Repeat after me: "There is nothing in WA to ride. There is no Spokane; no Kettle Crest; no Galbraith; no Tree Farm; no PA; and there are certainly no Exits. Nada. Forget it. Stop at Oregon."
i'm definately going to washington this summer!
Old 06-16-09, 09:22 PM
Hup Hup

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale Aluminum 3.0/2006 Giant Yukon/1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp SS/2009 Giant TCX1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you come through California, go to the southern sierras and ride through the giant sequoia trees.
Old 06-16-09, 10:10 PM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With limited time and money, I'd focus on the tried and true. Moab is a given; some other hotspots are in the Colorado Rockies (Crested Butte and many others), Mammoth Mtn. and its environs in California; central Oregon (around Bend) to name only a few. All these are amid large amounts of public land; you can camp for free if you have good maps or software that gives details of USFS and BLM roads, and a car that will handle unpaved roads.
All the good riding in California and you'd send him to Mammoth? Ohhh, I get it, like doug's doing...never mind.
Old 06-16-09, 10:41 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dminor

That's right, listen to Doug.

By the way, there are no exits on I-90 near North Bend where Cam McCaul could have possibly shot a video.
Old 06-16-09, 11:31 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^^ He's lucky he's so talented; they could have buried him up there and burned all of the footage .
Old 06-17-09, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops.... fingers engaged before brain did on that one. That's what I get for posting after the end of 8 hours of work....thanks for the wakeup call.

So much mountain biking to do and so little time. I need to figure out a way to retire!
Old 06-19-09, 09:59 AM
Tinkerer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you're stopping in Tulsa, check out Turkey Mountain. It's an "Urban Wilderness" that includes many miles of very technical trails and a couple wild downhill runs. Difficulty ranges from fairly easy to deadly.
Old 06-19-09, 10:13 AM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oops.... fingers engaged before brain did on that one. That's what I get for posting after the end of 8 hours of work....thanks for the wakeup call.

So much mountain biking to do and so little time. I need to figure out a way to retire!
There ya go.

Can't be having every flatlander like chelboed and all the other Okie drifters (isn't that the name of a steelhead lure?) wanting to move here .