Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Suzue hubs.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are Suzue Jr. Hubs the same as Suzue Basic hubs the same as the Suzue high flange rear hub listed on the DT Swiss Spoke calculations list? Thinking of picking a pair of Suzue Jr hubs (f and r) for my first wheel build and my get the spokese from the same place. Or I might just get the spokes from my LBS. I know I should go with something like the Surly New rear hub but money's tight at the moment, even for a $70 component. Can I get away with using the Suzues? From reading here, some of you ride Suzue rear hubs and haven't really had any problems right?
Old 06-16-04, 06:02 PM

Bikes: Merckx Miyata Barracuda!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay away from the basic Suzue hub, the bearings tend to crap out quickly, especially if you ride in any rainy/wet conditions.

The surly hub would probably be worth the investment, considering it will last you quite a bit longer and the bearings are sealed, so replacement is a snap. I have a set of suzue promax which I love, they spin for hours. Of course there is always Phil Wood, but those are not for those within the confines of a budget.

Phil
Old 06-16-04, 06:27 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goatmeal
I would stay away from the basic Suzue hub, the bearings tend to crap out quickly, especially if you ride in any rainy/wet conditions.

The surly hub would probably be worth the investment, considering it will last you quite a bit longer and the bearings are sealed, so replacement is a snap. I have a set of suzue promax which I love, they spin for hours. Of course there is always Phil Wood, but those are not for those within the confines of a budget.

Phil
Is there a quick way you could spot the diff between the types of Suzue hubs?
The ones I've just got on the Nishiki triathlon bike just say "Suzue sealed tech".
High flange?
These ones anyway seem to have lasted very well.
Old 06-16-04, 11:48 PM
how does it corner?

Bikes: De Bernardi track, Shogun fixie, Salvagetti 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding on a set of Jrs -- it was my first wheelbuild and I figured I'd go econo this time around, and get better hubs for the next set when the learning curve was less steep. Also I needed a rear hub that would fit 130mm spacing. I've been on them about 4 months, and I think they are ok, especially for the $$ ($60/pr at my LBS). Two things about them, though. One is I recommend repacking them before you go out on your first ride--mine were verrry scantily greased, and if this is common it might explain why they tend to die on people quickly. The other is that I find I have to tighten the rear hub semi-frequently--I'm guessing that it's due to the torque of stopping. I tend to skip-stop more than lay long skids but whatever. I think they are fine, and I'm happy to ride on them until Goatmeal gives me his new wheelset.
Old 06-17-04, 12:01 AM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Same here. Almost 7 months on mine and only had a minor issue. The axle tends to stretch when I tighten down my bolts. This pulls apart the cone causing the hub to losen up. Took a bit of trial and error to get it right but been fine ever since. I'm planning on replacing the axles and cone asap. I've done skids and almost never use my brake. Threads holding up fine.
Old 06-17-04, 05:04 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Echo the same. My Juniors have held up well. Repacked when first gotten, changed the bearing after a couple hundred. An occasional retightening of the cones.
Old 06-17-04, 11:28 AM
ready for the freakout

Bikes: Spicer track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
Is there a quick way you could spot the diff between the types of Suzue hubs?
The ones I've just got on the Nishiki triathlon bike just say "Suzue sealed tech".
High flange?
These ones anyway seem to have lasted very well.
suzue makes a lot of hubs. not just track ones. but anyway, here's what their track hubs look like: https://www.businesscycles.com/thub-suz.htm
Old 06-17-04, 11:35 AM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitensha_de_go!
suzue makes a lot of hubs. not just track ones. but anyway, here's what their track hubs look like: https://www.businesscycles.com/thub-suz.htm
Thank you much, and...these hubs do not have enough grease and it lost viscosity or whatever. Just took the front one apart.
Looks o.k though. No silver.

>Thanks Shiftlessbast.
Old 06-17-04, 12:50 PM

Bikes: peugot fixed, Steelman cyclocross, Yeti Kokopelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone built a set a set of wheels with Suzue's Promax CF hubs? My first set of fixed wheels was built on the cheap, Basic Suzue hubs laced to Velocity areohead rims. I am thinking of upgrading the wheels to to either the promax CF hubs, Phil Woods or maybe a Chub Hub in back and then lacing them mavic open pros.
Old 06-17-04, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allright. I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna order the Suzus Jrs/Basics as this will be my first wheel build and I'm not looking at going all out. I'm lacing the rear hub to a Mavic Open 4 CD 32 hole rim and have used the 2 spoke calculators listed in the bike mechanics section to try and determine the proper spoke length I'll be needing as I may order spokes from the same place as the hubs. Does anyone know off hand what the flange diameter is? Business Cycles says 62.5mm and one of the spoke calcs here says 62mm. Are there other measurements I'll need? Or should I just tell my LBS what my hub and rim is and get the spokes from them? Also, how should I lace the rear...3x sounds about right. Thanks for all your help...I know I've posted many a time regarding wheel builds and stuff...you guys are just so helpful! Thanks again!
Old 06-17-04, 01:29 PM
Team Beer

.5 of a mm is not a big deal. Actually you can be within 2 mm or so. I would use a 3x lacing pattern. I have athe suzue jr with a ma3 (3x). Its been strong enough for my 185-190 pound frame.
Old 09-16-08, 02:56 PM
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI;
I just ordered a set of the HF Jr's from a chap in london .
They were not expensive and they seemed to be a good deal from what i have read about them so far .
This will be my first FG/SP wheel build . Im a roadie .
But this winter is coming fast up-north here and i thought i would ride fixed thru the rain and snow to be in tip top shape for the spring .I have 3 bridges to ride over and a few small climbs to and from work .
I hope these hubs wil hold up to being riden 5 days a week in the rain , cold ,snow & slushy conditions .
but again they were cheap and if they hold up thru the winter i'll be more than happy .
I'm not looking to beat up any of my nicer wheel sets to commute on .

more to come later after i build them , should be in the next days or two .
Cheers
Old 09-16-08, 03:47 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soderbiker
more to come later after i build them , should be in the next days or two .
Cheers
Given the 4 years since the previous post on the subject, I'd be willing to beat interest has waned on the subject.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-16-08, 05:52 PM
Team Beer

Wow, I weighed 190 back then. Lol.

BTW. Still riding my Suzue Jr. No problems.
Old 09-16-08, 06:26 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss, Cynikal.
Old 09-16-08, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm... im tempted on mixing and matching a jr front and a sb rear. opinions?
Old 09-16-08, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Raleigh 29er, IRO Angus frameset- random components, Giant Bowery, Raleigh Rush Hour frameset-future build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on some promax njs' that I am SUPER stoked about.
Old 09-17-08, 12:31 PM
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dobber
Given the 4 years since the previous post on the subject, I'd be willing to beat interest has waned on the subject.
Time keeps on slippin into the future ..
hwo really cares how old that last post was before miy entry .
its stil valid and the hubs are still out there !
Old 09-17-08, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized I started this post 4 freakin years ago! Damn! And I never even built those wheels as the rim I was going to use were cracked. I'd like to build a set now, perhaps over the winter to put on the ypothetical group buy that jsource is asking for frame colour opinions.

I think I gained 15 lbs since this post began! Glad it's still helping some people.
Old 09-17-08, 07:11 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soderbiker
Time keeps on slippin into the future ..
hwo really cares how old that last post was before miy entry .
its stil valid and the hubs are still out there !

I think your transmission from the past, or is it the future, is garbled
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.