Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding bikes with mini pull along wheels?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Soon!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, first post here and I apologise if this is a silly question!
I am looking at purchasing a folding bike and I am wondering if there are any other makes and models that have little wheels (Brompton style) so that the bike can be pulled along when folded? I'm not sure what the technichal term for the wheels would be so I'm having trouble searching for one!
Or if there are any other bikes that fold in a way that you can still pull them along with just the handle up (no idea if this even exists!). A friend has a brompton that she stands a bag on and uses like a shopping trolley when folded - I'd love a bike that could do the same so just wondering what my options are.
Thanks very much!
Old 06-17-09, 03:23 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds to me like you're looking for the CarryMe or the Strida. Both are easily rolled when folded.

Carryme:

Strida:
Old 06-17-09, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heard something about a modded tikit with roller wheels, but i've never seen any pics.
^the carryme is very nice, i really want to get one this year, but the 09 single speed models havegone up for 100 bucks =(
Old 06-18-09, 12:57 AM

Bikes: Soon!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thansk exactly what I meant, thanks very much!
Old 06-18-09, 02:16 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many Dahons frames are also drilled to take a Dahon front release bag simular to the brompton design and can be pushed along on there normal wheels in the folded postion if you hold the bike correctly. The later point later is true of many other folders of course ie Downtube

Other options that include transit wheels include the Mezzo/Ori that has 2 rear ones so just the front needs lifting slightly to push along.An option I use on my mezzo is to half fold it and use the front wheel as the front transit wheels ( will post a pic sometime).
Another option is the mission space genie/brezzer? that has four transit wheels and the rear bag can be left on when folded.

The Mezzo and space genie don not have front bags, but the space genie could be adapted to hold one.
Another option are the diblasi range the older R series fold on to pegs inserted in to the rack and at the front rest on the front wheel. I folds so quickly there is no point in half folding it, but one could put a caster wheel on it. The diblasi can take a front and rear bag that do not have to be removed when folded at all. Newer Diblasi R22 has four transit wheels also,I believe the bags would need removing when folded,but not sure.

I am sure there are more ,including popular DIY versions.
Old 06-18-09, 06:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton will be best for holding your shopping since the luggage goes on top and the folded bike is bottom heavy.

Carry-me is good too, but you can't use the large luggage capacity of the rear rack in the folded position and instead have to use the front luggage rack or hang bags off the seat or handlebars. Plus it's a little top heavy while folded.

Strida and Tikit both roll along nicely without their luggage capacities being compromised by folding, but they both have to be balanced because they roll on only one or two wheels instead of three or four like the Brompton or Carry-me.

Dahons and such can also be rolled with some effort, but the balancing act is even more difficult and a real hassle with luggage IMO.