Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cold setting a frame with disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Lemond Poprad and I have been looking for new wheels. I need a 130mm rear disc hub, and I haven't been able to find anything affordable, so I am thinking of having the frame cold set to 135mm to make life easy.

(1) Is this something I can do myself? I've read a few things online, Sheldon's write up, and it seems relatively straight forward. Any non-professional mechanics here do something similar? I'm sure I can have a shop do it, but I like working on my own bikes.

(2) Is the alignment of the disc brakes tabs going to be messed up? I've read of people with the same frame just using a 135mm rear as is with no problems while others have had alignment issues. The weather is supposed to be pretty bad tomorrow so I think I will throw in a mountain wheel I have and see what happens. But I hope some others here can chime in if they experience doing this with a disc capable frame.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-09, 06:53 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Some touring/cyclocross road frame have 132 mm dropout spacing so they could accept either a 130 or 135 mm hub. Try the wider hub and see how much of a struggle it is.
Old 06-18-09, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any one else with thoughts on this?
Old 06-18-09, 07:04 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
You shouldn't need to cold set the frame for only a 5mm spread. The hub won't slide right in but it will go. I've put 130mm hubs in 126mm aluminum frames without major issue, though it's slightly more effort than doing the same with a steel frame.

As to alignment issues. your disc brake caliper should have plenty of adjustment to handle the very slight angle the disc brake tab will now be at.

Just curious though, what hub did you have in there originally? I didn't realize any frames were made with 130mm rear spacing and disc brake mounts since I've never seen a 130mm disc hub. Are you sure it's not an in between frame like Hillrider has suggested or a 135mm frame that is out of alignment?
Old 06-18-09, 07:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a 130mm hub. I measured it myself and emailed Trek about it to confirm. The original wheels are Bontrager branded disc wheels.
Old 06-18-09, 07:35 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Definitely a 130mm hub. I measured it myself and emailed Trek about it to confirm. The original wheels are Bontrager branded disc wheels.
In your OP you mentioned trying an MTB wheel to see if it would work. Did it?

Also, could you respace the 135 mm hub down to 130 by removing spacers? I'm not familiar with disc wheels so I don't know if the spacers all have to come out of the non-drive side (as they would with caliper brakes) or evenly from both sides.
Old 06-19-09, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
In your OP you mentioned trying an MTB wheel to see if it would work. Did it?
Looks like the mountain hub is going to work. I put in today, adjusted the brakes for all of 15 seconds, and it spun smoothly.

Originally Posted by HillRider
Also, could you respace the 135 mm hub down to 130 by removing spacers? I'm not familiar with disc wheels so I don't know if the spacers all have to come out of the non-drive side (as they would with caliper brakes) or evenly from both sides.
I don't know anything about this either. Looks like it won't matter though.

Thanks.