Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

frankenbike

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 02:53 PM
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
frankenbike

I have no idea why I feel so good about this but....a while ago a buddy of mine dropped off his old road bike.It was a piece of-well it was an old vista 10 speed .He called and told me he abandoned a bike at my place it probably needed tires he could'nt stand drop bars and it never worked very well(go figure)and if i could use it or parts i could have it .i asked if it worked would he ride it he said sure.upon looking this pile over thinking i would just get it working and give it back i could not bring myself to give this thing to anyone (crimped on rear dropouts ,feeble at best drivetrain etc.)i thought ,hey i have an old shwinn letour III(longer story)why do'nt i just throw those parts on this thing.i decided to see if i could do this without buying anything.We live in a city built on a hill so a single speed would'nt really work-Here's what i ended up coming up with,shwinn frame ,suntour cranks with ovaltech rings(to help with hills)an old xt front der. and for the rear i put the chain in third and used the limit screws to keep it there.for brakes i kept the center pull dia-compes that came stock and put on mountain bike levers, bars,stem with an old suntour thumb****er for the front.i wrapped old bar tape on for grips found old pedals and seat i always tell my wife all this crap-i mean parts- will come in handy for something it's not much to look at but the vista was butt-ugly as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my bikes 005.jpg (101.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-18-09, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it,s great ,well done !
Old 06-18-09, 07:04 PM

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like it too!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-02-09, 10:58 AM
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the bike has been a hit with everyone who's thrown a leg over it(some cyclists,some regular folk)that i'm considering building one for myself i've got a miyata 710 and some more crap-i mean-parts that need a home..........