Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It's Still Chirping!!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

It's Still Chirping!!!

Old 06-18-09, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's Still Chirping!!!

Gentlemen:
Within the last month I posted a problem that had developed with my '73 Raleigh Sports. There was a "chirping noise" coming from what I thought was the bottom bracket. I never head the noise when coasting; only when turning the cranks. The force applied to the pedals didn't seem to matter. Anyhow, many thanks to all who responded. Here is how it now stands:
1. Removed pedals, cleaned and lubed them thoroughly. Still chirping.
2. Checked the cotters and eventually removed them successfully. Cleaned and replaced them. Still chirping. (By the way, whoever suggested removing/reinstalling cotters using the combination of a socket from and socket wrench set and a C-clamp is a genius. It really works great!)
3. Re-built the bottom bracket. Saw nothing particularly unusual when I tore it down. Upon my "test ride", I initially heard nothing, but after the first mile or so, the chirping reappeared although it definitely was not as loud as before.

I don't know if what I'm abouit to report is related to this problem or not, but something else might be a clue. This bicycle has a Sturmey-Archer 53C rear hub (3-speeds and coaster brake). When I back the bicycle up, I feel a small amount of binding in the rear of the bike every revolution. In addition, every so ofter a "clickety, clickety, clickety" sound comes from the rear hub. If I hit a bump, it usually disappears.

This is becoming like a CSI case.

Terry
Old 06-18-09, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
One possible source of the noise is that the BB fixed cup isn't completely tightened down. When you overhauled the bottom bracket did you take out the fixed cup? Bikesmithdesign sells a nice tool for removing it or tightening it, but if you have a 5/8" fairly flat wrench, you should be able to check.

Neal
Old 06-18-09, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I know you said you cleaned and lubed the pedals, but have you tried riding with a different set of pedals?

I had a similar situation with a creaking sound. Thought is was the saddle and/or seatpost so I changed them...didn't help. So I thought it was the crank or bottom bracket, so I changed the crank and cleaned/lubed the bottom bracket, but still had the creaking. I eventually broke one of the pedals and had to replace them and, ta da, the creaking is gone. I never tried cleaning/lubing them though.

Anyway, it might be worth a try.
Old 06-18-09, 03:19 PM
Texas Sec. 545.401

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try removing, cleaning, and lubing the seatpost. Easy to try.
Old 06-18-09, 03:39 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe it's your shoes?
Old 06-18-09, 03:44 PM
Junior WHAT?!?!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's just my age but.......could it be one of your knees?

Don
Old 06-18-09, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Knee,s" ha ha , dont be crazy its --->>>>> his hips !
Old 06-18-09, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just got back from a 5+ mile ride and no chirping until .... I rode down a really rough road and the chirping reappeared as loud as before the bottom bracket overhaul. I'm starting to think that this may be a problem with the S3C Sturmey-Archer rear hub. Anyone ever heard of a chirping noise originating from the hub? (I added more oil, rode up and down the driveway and still had the chirping.)

Last edited by tsappenfield; 06-18-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 09:01 PM
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
seat rails can also make this noise.
Old 06-18-09, 09:15 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
I don't know what the chirping is , but I can relate. I'm almost as annoyed as you probably are just by reading this thread.

I'm actually having a similair problem with my tourer/commuter that I thought was my bb , then my pedals, both of which I swapped out. Turned out to be my b17.

Old 06-19-09, 05:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe it's a seat issue because when I put the bicycle on my bike stand and turn the cranks, I can reproduce the sound. I'm still hoping someone out there can support the idea that this is actually a hub issue (Sturmey-Archer S3C, 3-speed with coaster brake). I'm thinking now of sending the rear wheel off to a shop that can diagnose and rebuild the hub, but after some preliminary searching, it sounds like a pretty expension proposition.

Terry
Old 06-19-09, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
When the bike is on the stand and you spin the rear wheel (keeping the cranks still), do you get the sound? I'm just wondering if it only happens under a load (even a very moderate load as you don't need to be on the bike to get the chirp). Does it occur in all 3 gears? Did you check the bottom bracket fixed cup as I suggested in #2 above?

Opening up the rear hub isn't terribly difficult, and you might just need to clean out the innards, re-lube and reinstall.

Neal
Old 06-19-09, 07:57 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I know a SA expert and I'll ask him. Been a long time since I've had one apart, is it possible it's the gear on the back?
Old 06-19-09, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I glad everyone's still reading this. Here's the latest. Late yesterday, I did check the tightness of the bottom bracket fixed cup. It seems okay. This morning, I put the bike back on my repair stand and the "chirping" at high rpms turned out to be a groaning sound (and I feel some resistance at certain points) when I barely turn the crank. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I also just checked if I get the sound when I just rotate the rear wheel by hand. When I spin the wheel forward, no noise. When I spin it in reverse, I hear the noise and feel some resistance at a certain point. Also, once every rotation (and in about the same spot) the whole system becomes disengaged for about 4-5 chain links. It then re-engages. That's not really "free wheeling" I'm guessing.

Terry
Old 06-19-09, 09:59 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
sounds like a hub teardown is in order.
Old 06-19-09, 10:03 AM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
hows the condition of the chain?