Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Howdy from Kingsport, Tennessee

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I am brand new here. Never been on a bike forum before. Not really new to forums though as I am an avid offroader (the 4 wheel kind). I just bought my first bike (since I was a kid). It is a 2008 leftover , Cannondale F5. I am loving it. I will post up other stuff in the proper threads later. Just wanted to say, "Hi," and that I look forward to learning some more acronyms and new words.
Old 06-21-09, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Bianchi via Nirone 7 / Trek Marlin 5 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy Bill. Welcome to BF from another tri-citian (citier? citizen?).

You'll find lots of help, lots of hints, lots of bickering, but most in all fun.

As another one who got into bikes after a long hiatus all I can say is have fun, and ride often!

Tim
Old 06-21-09, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey...I live about 40 miles away from you, near Pennington Gap (in Southwest VA), I've been to Kingsport many times. I too have gotten more seriously into cycling after about a twenty year hiatus (I rode a lot as a kid/teenager).
Old 06-22-09, 07:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes folks. I am only hitting about 10 miles a whack at the moment but I did that on the first ride. I was proud of it since I am 40 years old, 5' 6", and about 215 lbs. Again thanks for the welcomes.
Old 06-22-09, 08:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 miles a whack it good. Once I got up to about 17miles I realized a road bike is a better choice (we still mountain bike often too). At 36, 6'1" and 249 (down from 325) its not always easy getting over these hills around here. But persistance pays off.

Hey, if you're interested, there's a group of us riding out of Gate city tuesday night. We leave from Yuma school about 6-6:15. It's a pretty easy ride in the valley +/- 12 miles. Come out if you want.
Old 06-24-09, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tim. I missed this post yesterday somehow. I rode last night but only kicked out 7.6 miles. I did however bring up my average speed to 10.6 mph. Hate I missed the ride down in the valley. I grew up in Carter's Valley not too far from where Yuma Rd comes out to W Carter's Valley Rd. I noticed your SN and wandered if you were a tat artist. Been thinking about a new one.
Old 06-25-09, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We ride there every Tuesday, so grab on next week! My son's team is also putting on a race / fun ride. www.tourofpossumcreek.org for details.

As for my SN, nope, it's the name of my design firm. I have a few tats, but don't do them. Although, out there in internet land there is a tattoo shop going by the same name. Go figure.

I keep trying to get out to Bays mtn. It's a good place to ride as well. Have you ever been?
Old 06-25-09, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Welcome to bike forums...
Old 06-26-09, 06:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Hendrick.

Tim,
I like the name brother. As for the Tour de Possum Creek, Do you know Don Feathers? Owned Piney Flats Bike Shop, Rocky Road, and I think the first one he had was Pro Cycles. He and I are friends. Looks like he is going to start riding with me. He and another gentleman with the last name Gulley, have had a great deal to do with that race. Gulley had the shirt from last year on last night at 5 Guys Burgers in Kingsport. Do you folks have a slow group that rides? LOL. I am on a MTB so I am only averaging about 10-10.5 mph plus I have never gone more than 10 miles.
Old 06-26-09, 09:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're like the Marines - no man left behind! Don't worry about your speed, I'm usually bringing up the rear on that ride making sure all the kiddos are going the right way. So show up, and look for the Clydesdale (me) on the blue/black specialized.

I'm out at Piney Flats Bike shop a lot (maybe too much for them!) - they're truly great guys there.