Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Odd ball Trek?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Odd ball Trek?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd ball Trek?

I thought all trek bikes bellow the 4 series were made in china . I was looking at my new trek 3700 and on the frame it says made in america. Was wondering if anyone else has come across this or did i just get an odd ball trek?
Old 06-23-09, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Is it possible that your confusing 'Made' with 'Designed'
A frame that's 'Designed in the USA' doesn't necessarily mean that it's 'Made in the USA'

Last edited by cobba; 06-23-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-24-09, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Mongoose Snare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at it again and it says made in usa ...i sent an email to trek with the serial number to confirm it , still waiting to hear back from them.
Old 06-24-09, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there is some pretty vague wording that defines "Made in..." regulations. I know in Canada there is a threshold for finishing work. I guess it depends on how liberal the manufacturers are with final assembly. For example, if he bike and all its components are built in China and assembled to 70% but final assembly (wheels, seatpost, handlebar...) is done locally then it qualifies as "Made in ...".

I made up that example but I do believe there is something along these lines. I think that here in Canada they want to tighten up some of those regulations because many people feel misled.
Old 06-24-09, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
I'd be very surprised if even one part of that bike that was actually made in the US.

Where was my bike made: https://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

From the Trek website:
Is my bike made in the USA?

We continue to produce many of our bicycles in the US with a focus on our higher-end OCLV carbon fiber offerings. All of our bikes are designed and engineered at our headquarters in Waterloo, Wisconsin though select road, ATB, comfort, hybrid, urban and kids’ bikes are produced by Trek-specific overseas vendors. Bicycles produced overseas follow the same stringent quality standards as our domestically built bikes. No matter where your bike is produced quality is stock on every Trek built.

Last edited by cobba; 06-24-09 at 09:20 PM.