Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hey year 'rounders!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

hey year 'rounders!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
hey year 'rounders!

so I've been riding in this crummy NE weather and lately the road grim has gotten into things here and there and now I noticed when I walk my bike I don't hear the clicks of the freewheel, instead the pedals move with the wheel. I can still stop and pedal backwards and the chain moves OK and the gears spin backwards OK, but a little reluctantly. when I got home last night I gave the bike a quick splash from a hose - no high pressure - and let it dry overnight - the best it could dry in such humidity and misting. this morning I lubed the chain with my regular "dry" lube. I noticed some links were red from rust. my ride in this morning was fine and the bike works fine, but I'm just wondering about the rust on the chain and the clogging from the road grime. what are you experienced people doing to keep your bikes clean and lubed despite riding through wet road grime?
Old 06-23-09, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding through the same crummy New England weather. I recently started using White Lightning chain lube, the "clean" version. From what I can tell it's basically a solvent, with wax dissolved in it. You squirt it on a clean chain, and the solvent carries the wax in to the rollers, then evaporates, leaving the wax to lube the chain. The thing I like most about it is that since the chain isn't greasy it doesn't collect grime from the road. This means that you can just squirt more on later, without having to clean the chain.

I only started using it about a month ago, and so far so good, but I can't comment on how it affects chain life.

As far as the rust goes, a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. However, you do want to clean you chain more thoroughly than with a hose every now and then. You can either get an on the bike chain cleaner, which is a plastic housing with brushes in it. Or, if your chain has a quick link, you can just take it off and soak it in some degreaser.

Chris
Old 06-23-09, 08:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yep, this weather is getting old.

I use dry ice wax lube on my chain; been using it about two years. I'm not exactly thrilled with it, because I have to reapply more frequently than I'd like, but it is tolerably clean which is a big plus. NO matter how frequently I apply the stuff, my chains don't last very long; I guess I get about 6 months out of a chain before I have to replace it. I buy cheap ones; perhaps more expensive ones would last longer.
Old 06-23-09, 09:41 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use regular 3 in one oil applied fairly frequently.
Old 06-23-09, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Thanks for the info on those "wax" lubes. I'll keep my eye out for them. I neglected to say I do clean my drivetrain, and recently did it quite thoroughly. It was so sweet in fact I considered not riding in this weather cuz I knew how our local sand and other grit gets into everything. But this is going to be my first full 5 day week commuting by bike, if it kills me, or my chain.
Old 06-23-09, 09:44 AM

what about the freewheel that is now not really free-wheeling
Old 06-23-09, 09:48 AM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I clean my chain with WD40, and then follow that with a lubrication using tri-flow. In the winter, I do that weekly. In the summer, maybe monthly or longer, depending n conditions.

As far as the freewheel, the rear freewheel needs to be serviced. Depending on the kind of hubs you have, it can be an easy job or a hard job. You can typically find the service manual for your hubs online, and they will tell you how to service the hub. Or you can just take it to your LBS and let them handle it.
Old 06-23-09, 09:52 AM

it's brand new and only has about 150 miles on it - already brought it in last week for a truing after the 1st 100 miles
Old 06-23-09, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride year-round in Boston, and I've had good luck using Boesheild (a solvent/wax lube). I'm pretty bad about cleaning the chain, even after riding through rain or snow, and I ran my last chain for about 3000 miles, and I switched it as soon as I started getting a sticky link or two.
Old 06-23-09, 10:15 AM

Bikes: flying pigeon roadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also ride year round in boston, and have found an IGH with fully enclosed chain to be wonderful. Really keeps the road grit out.
Old 06-23-09, 10:31 AM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a single speed, so there are not many parts to keep up with, but I lube it often, and wipe down the chain when I get home.
Old 06-23-09, 11:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what about the freewheel that is now not really free-wheeling
It can't hurt to squirt some WD40 in its general direction, but generally it's pretty hard to get it in the right place. As long as it works well enough to shift etc., I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-23-09, 11:48 AM

yeah, I did give it a shot of WD40 and kept it away from the hub area. I hoping once the weather dries up and the grit falls off it will be quiet and freewheeling again
Old 06-23-09, 12:02 PM
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frankly, I have given up being overly concerned about the drivetrains on my commuter bikes. One of them is always going from a train station bike locker to my office and back - so no good location to do a thorough cleaning. If I actually let the road grime build up a little, it seems to prevent the rust from developing as readily. I do lube them reasonably regularly with prolink. These conditions are part of the reason that my commuters are single speed bikes.