Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

sleeved bar squeak

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

sleeved bar squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sleeved bar squeak

I've got some Nitto RB-021 bars paired with a Nitto Pearl stem.

It recently started squeaking, and I can't figure it out. I took it all apart and greased everything.

I think the squeaking is comming from the sleeve/bar interface. Is this normal for sleeved bars to creak a bit? It's not a bunch, and it's only when I'm really cranking on the bars to get up a hill fast or sprinting.

Anyone???
Old 06-24-09, 04:16 AM

Bikes: Waterford Rs 22, GT ZuM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have exactly the same thing going on with a nitto technomic and a salsa bar. It only happens when I am climbing. I have tightened until I am afraid to tighten anymore. I wondered about a bit of electrical tape to shim the bar?
Old 06-24-09, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that it is between the bar and stem though.

I think it's that the bar is a sleeved bar.

Is your bar sleeved?
Old 06-24-09, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try loosening up the clamp and squirting some chain lub on the bar's sleeve. I haven't had to do it on bars before, although I have done it to get bars to slide in easier.
Old 07-02-09, 06:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a really annoying clicking sound whenever i'd climb or pull up hard on my sleeved bars. sheldon's solution fixed it for me -

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bars

Some handlebars have a re-inforcing sleeve on the central section, which also acts as a built-in shim to fit the bars to the stem clamp diameter. The main part of the handlebar may occasionally move within this sleeve. I've had some success using Loctite ® for this: drip some on the bar where it disappears into the sleeve, then use a compressed-air blast to force it into the gap. Let it cure overnight before riding.